stihl chainsaw tuning

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all wondering if you know anyone good around Edmonton that tunes saws, looking at some porting and tuning to smarten up a ms361. Maybe some felling dawgs.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mots' might be worth a call to discuss porting. Is it still stock or already had some basic mods?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Stihl store in the West End. Reasonable price pretty quick turnaround

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NPP probably can tune them. He builds custom pipes for them so should tune them.

But if it not running good I seen where you said you run aspen fuel. That could be the issue. My sthil stuff and my ice auger ran bad on that stuff. Was all hard starting and wouldn’t idle. Premium fuel with sea foam seems the best.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NPP probably can tune them. He builds custom pipes for them so should tune them.

But if it not running good I seen where you said you run aspen fuel. That could be the issue. My sthil stuff and my ice auger ran bad on that stuff. Was all hard starting and wouldn’t idle. Premium fuel with sea foam seems the best.
Agreed it has to be tuned for the fuel, once you go there you wont go back. Let it sit 6 months just takes 2 pulls. Resisted for too long best thing for 2 strokes unless you are a heavy consumer then it gets expensive. It runs really good right now but.....

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Most engines that have run reg fuel and then switch to apsen fuel, run like crap for a tank or two of aspen. Not sure if carbon is coming of the pistons fowling the plugs or the carb crap ungumming itself. But once it cleans up in runs awesome which takes a tank or two. You will not have the problem with new powersaws.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most engines that have run reg fuel and then switch to apsen fuel, run like crap for a tank or two of aspen. Not sure if carbon is coming of the pistons fowling the plugs or the carb crap ungumming itself. But once it cleans up in runs awesome which takes a tank or two. You will not have the problem with new powersaws.

That’s what I was told so I did burn a couple tanks through the weed eater and leaf blower because I had 4L jug of it, but was always hard starting. My ice auger I didn’t give it a chance for a couple tanks. Was impossible to drill a hole. Extremely hard starting and if you let off the throttle it would die. Would only run wide open. So I just run premium with sea foam and never had issues. But do drain the fuel out of them.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say 1/2 my stuff ran worse for a bit, dam near sh!t myself with my prized atc just quit running with aspen fuel in it, changed the plug and it started so i went back to premium fuel ...for a bit. However long you think it has been since your ice auger was started, double it and that will be more accurate.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aspen fuel has a Reid Vapour Pressure of about 60kpa, which is similar to summer gasoline and means it evaporates poorly in the winter. Winter gas can be 100kpa or more RVP. Makes it hard to start an engine with in winter.

To the original question, I'd probably just sell the saw and get a 500i. The 361 makes more power with a modded muffler, but then they get stupid loud, like double hearing protection loud. I've never heard of anyone in the area that mods (engine porting) saws in an significant amount.

Last edited:

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FWIW, opening up the muffler, trimming the limiter tabs off and richer carb settings made a nice improvement to my MS290 (ease of starting, idle quality and a bit more power). It is a little louder but I kept the baffle mostly intact, just opened up some internal passages and the outlet size.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear that the 361 has a terrible muffler design, and just with porting muffler and tuning I am looking at 30% increase. I still need a mid size saw like this and have owned since new so I know what I have plus extras that add up in a hurry.. Going to be looking for a 90cc or so soon as well. Was thinking a 661. Cant have too many right?

Will be tracking down NPP in the new year and see what we can figure out. Thanks for the suggestions all

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say 1/2 my stuff ran worse for a bit, dam near sh!t myself with my prized atc just quit running with aspen fuel in it, changed the plug and it started so i went back to premium fuel ...for a bit. However long you think it has been since your ice auger was started, double it and that will be more accurate.

Was mid season. So was running lots before and after. Burn lots of gas a year though it. But these are just my findings and a suggestion to the op of maybe why his saw needed tuning. Not sure why you’re so bothered my stuff didn’t like aspen over premium?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not bothered at all by what fuel you run in your motors. But other people reading this might not have even heard of Aspen fuel. I am very grateful Ervins small engine told me about this stuff. It may be helpful to others as well. I am sorry to hear you find it bothersome.

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one saw that needed tuning, one saw that didn't, backpack blower was good, weed eater needed tuning, I think its hit or miss honestly. Some people don't care don't know.. its a thing they gotta sing for me.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one saw that needed tuning, one saw that didn't, backpack blower was good, weed eater needed tuning, I think its hit or miss honestly. Some people don't care don't know.. its a thing they gotta sing for me.

Nothing worse then pulling for a half hour to get something running. For me in town bye the time I got it started I could’ve had it done lol. Leaf blower is and was the worst.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
switch to aspen then, get a tank or 2 through tune it and you are good to go.. high consumers may need another plan. For my high consumers I will store it with aspen, run it get it all through the system and reload with fresh conventional mix when ready to go. Down time, shop repairs, and frustration all need to be factored in here. Iknow my stuff is going to run when I need it to

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear that the 361 has a terrible muffler design, and just with porting muffler and tuning I am looking at 30% increase. I still need a mid size saw like this and have owned since new so I know what I have plus extras that add up in a hurry.. Going to be looking for a 90cc or so soon as well. Was thinking a 661. Cant have too many right?

Will be tracking down NPP in the new year and see what we can figure out. Thanks for the suggestions all
I have a 500i and an 066. Can't go wrong with the 500 or 661. Unless you're cutting really big wood I would go with the 500. I really love mine. Around 80ccs, and probably weighs around the same as your 361. You definitely notice the weight difference on the 661

Top Bottom