Snowbike questions

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does a ktm 350 four stroke have enough guts for a snowbike kit ????

IMO a 450 is underpowered. I have rode one and I get the idea but feel they are lacking in power. You gotta remember there a huge power loss at 6500-8000 feet.

Last edited:

gregv88

Reaction score
Depends how big the rider is, which track kit you are using an where you are expecting to ride. 350 at elevation will be a long day. 450 isn't bad but depends on what kind of terrain you are looking to ride in. A few n the group are on 450's and will eventually get to where he turbo bikes are with some good riding skills.

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
Hahaha sorry. I'm just workin out what I need to but. I'm 250. Would that be too much for a short track kit on a 450?

barthasbite

Reaction score
Hahaha sorry. I'm just workin out what I need to but. I'm 250. Would that be too much for a short track kit on a 450?

I'm pretty new at this but here's my opinion. Depending on what kind of riding you want to do, I think you'll get around just fine on flat ground with the ST, but the LT would be a lot better in the steep and deep. However, on the Timbersled website they recommend a 500cc or bigger bike for the LT kit. After riding my ST in some soft spring snow I see why, the 450 bogs down a lot, and that was at only 2800ft elevation.
I see why guys are running turbos and LT kits!! Kind of want that setup for myself!

Reaction score
Depends what your buddies have. If they are all on bikes, a 350 would be fine. Keeping up with sleds on a 350 would be another story.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id go 450 minimum for motor if you can.. I race a 350 sxf and it doesnt make any hp untill its at high rpm.. I put my ST kit on a yzf450 efi model it does well but you always want more like others say especially when its deep .. Im sure you 'll get around okay on the 350 but you will be bouncing it off the rev limiter alot

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have since bought a yz450 efi and a 2015 snowbike kit

Perfect.. Few things i did to my yami were thermostat from thermo bob, temp gauge, adventure pegs, cyclops light bar, pre filter air intake openings on shrouds, bark buster hand guards, hot grips there not that great though i wouldnt even bother with them ..Block rads off and shroud engine in as much as possible..
I leaned out my mapping with the yammi tuner but she still over fuels abit im still getting some gas in my oil after a day or two of riding

Sleds

Reaction score
I have everything except the light bar. What does the stator kit and light bar cost

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No stator upgrade required the newer yz450 10-15 stators put out enough to run light and hot grips.. If your not doing alot of night riding check out the frankensled trail lights for your helmet.. Picked one up at sled show $150 rechargeable lithium battery last around 2 hrs.. I used a lead dog alot in past this is way better light and no cord dangling around

Top Bottom