Ski Helmet Designed for avalanche protection..

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
COULD THEY NOT DO THIS FOR SLEDDERS TOO? HMMMMMM......... HOAX OR CAN THEY DO THIS?

The Aeros, a new concept ski helmet designed by Christina Hsu, could save you in the event of an avalanche burial. Hsu’s novel idea is to design avalanche safety features right into the ski helmet. The Aeros a drop down full-face shield and dual oxygen tanks to deliver up to 25 minutes of oxygen in the event of burial. It would also feature a retractable neck brace to guard against trauma.
There are some challenges the Aeros ski helmet will need to overcome if they are to become common place. For one thing, the helmet would be anything but light. Another issue is that Oxygen canisters small enough to fit into the back of the helmet only hold enough air for a couple minutes of breathing. However, we like where Christina’s head is at. Don’t be surprised if you see some kind of avalanche specific ski helmets in the near future.
Aeros Backcountry Ski Helmet, full version on Vimeo

Last edited:

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: New Ski Helmet Designed To Save You in an Avalanche ..

great idea, they have some hurdles to jump before it becomes mainstream. im sure you will see this soon tho, maybe they need to go on the shark tank!

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a good idea.. Even a few extra minutes of o2 would be a pro.. As Voodoo says - run a hose from the backpack..

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea a hose with quick disconnect...good ideas. the inflatable neck brace could be part of the air supply as well

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like it. A great idea. Someday we will see it though I'm sure.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like where these folks are going with this.

However, (and I'm by no means an expert here) what is happening with the C02 you exhale? It's still going to be stuck in the "air pocket" that is your mask and is probably as large of a problem as a lack of oxygen. I know current scuba diving c02 scrubber packs are *huge* but they're aiming for hours of time where this could aim for even extra minutes.

And there would be a need for proper training to make having it on your back worthwhile. If you panic (which you probably will) you will probably hyperventilate (or hypoventilate if you *think* you're smart... but it'll have the same effect) instead of breathing properly. At any rate, it's all things to think about.

pat84

Reaction score
The tank is going to have to be quite large to get any breathing time. Look at the size of the tank on SCBA's, they say most people won't get near the 30 mins of air they are advertised at.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Steve says...all the air in the world won't do you any good if you can't rid of the CO2 you exhale. Plus, have you ever been buried? Most of the time the snow is packed so tight around your chest you can't inhale anyway.

Top Bottom