Sick of skidoo junk good lord

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know how you feel I've had bad luck buying new my 09m1000 was a great deal but once I owned it I found out it was a great deal cause it had a bunch of wrong or brokenparts. Im A cat guy but I can't deny that every brand has its issues and perks.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY.

i cant beleive how many people fire there sleds up in the parking lot and immediatly fire it into reverse, back off the trailer, shut it off, gear up for ten minutes, then proceed down the trail at mach 1. crack a beer at the cabin, let sled cool down for 30 minutes. fire up sled and scream away from the cabin at mach 1 again. THOSE are the engines that fail.
even taking a 10-15 minute rest can cool your engine block down FAST. thats why i like the temperature guage feature. my sled doesnt move until 3 bars which means coolant is circulating.
for sure man, I never move until I feel the heat in the rear exchanger.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not heard anything but issues about those pteks. Sorry doolades you can deny it all you want but alot go down.

If they are so bad why does Ski-doo now offer a 3 year unlimited KM warranty on the 800 Ptek? Seems to me that they really aren't worried about it.

I had 2- 09 XP's. Just sold one with 6000km on it. Never did a thing to it. No issues. The second one I still have and it has 4500km and Ive never done a thing and it is still ripping....

The Doos are here to stay!

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they are so bad why does Ski-doo now offer a 3 year unlimited KM warranty on the 800 Ptek? Seems to me that they really aren't worried about it.

I had 2- 09 XP's. Just sold one with 6000km on it. Never did a thing to it. No issues. The second one I still have and it has 4500km and Ive never done a thing and it is still ripping....

The Doos are here to stay!
Probably because when you can get an etec for a few dollars more why would you bother with a ptek? I know of a couple that have lasted over 4000km but in our group all but one have failed prior to that mark and all 5 are on xm etecs now and not a hiccup on any of them

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably because when you can get an etec for a few dollars more why would you bother with a ptek? I know of a couple that have lasted over 4000km but in our group all but one have failed prior to that mark and all 5 are on xm etecs now and not a hiccup on any of them

In that case why would they bother giving a warranty on it at all....just saying. Don't really think there is to much of a concern on the engine if they are warranting it with unlimited KM's now a days. IF you spring by you can even get the extra 4th year warranty on the P-TEk sport model. Not a bad deal at $10,000.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY.

i cant beleive how many people fire there sleds up in the parking lot and immediatly fire it into reverse, back off the trailer, shut it off, gear up for ten minutes, then proceed down the trail at mach 1. crack a beer at the cabin, let sled cool down for 30 minutes. fire up sled and scream away from the cabin at mach 1 again. THOSE are the engines that fail.
even taking a 10-15 minute rest can cool your engine block down FAST. thats why i like the temperature guage feature. my sled doesnt move until 3 bars which means coolant is circulating.

LOL. At least a couple of times a season I see someone 5K up the trail with a seized motor that had just dropped it in the parking lot then pinned it up the trail.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In that case why would they bother giving a warranty on it at all....just saying. Don't really think there is to much of a concern on the engine if they are warranting it with unlimited KM's now a days. IF you spring by you can even get the extra 4th year warranty on the P-TEk sport model. Not a bad deal at $10,000.
That's pretty hard to argue with, even if it made it to 2500 and piled you'd have 3 seasons of full warranty after, beats the crap outta the 1yr cat warranty, I was assuming they were a grand less and therefore pointless to buy

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought the rt 1000 didn't do my home work ,but when I finally got the engine running right every other peace of **** fuel stator wiring problem could go wrong did. Scraped that junk.

So went out bought a 2010 xp 800 154 with 1800 km on it. Got 3 rides and engine blew apart. Never should have sold my cat.

Sent from my iPhone using

9000km on my 2008 big bore.... 3 bar warming system as maxwell pointed out from day one is my practice as well. Which works out to the tunnel cooler warm to the touch.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY.

That's one if the reason why I don't buy used. Yah more guys do that then sit there and let there sleds warm properly. And another thing that's hard on motors is holding it at half throttle for ever down the trail. I seen more motors go down at half throttle then full throttle!

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just rebuilt my 2010 800r it had 2800 k.m before it seized due to a lack of oil so I replaced everything that had to do with oil found 2 problems the small feed line to the bottom of crank was so loose pull it off with no effort which could create a air lock. and the wire cable that runs the oil pump birdcage just inside the plastic casing .In short i have to take some blame on is i should have watch my oil consumption and some blame on BRP it so hard to see these parts even with a video scope you wouldn't even know you had problem till it to late.I still have faith in SkiDoo my 2001 mxz 800 went 8500 k.m hard mileage sold it still running strong.I am a strong believer warming up the machine and also a cool down time

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's one if the reason why I don't buy used. Yah more guys do that then sit there and let there sleds warm properly. And another thing that's hard on motors is holding it at half throttle for ever down the trail. I seen more motors go down at half throttle then full throttle!
that's where mine burnt down, just over half throttle in that sweet "zingy" feeling spot. was buzzing along the side of the backroad heading back to buddy's farm....it all of a sudden labored a bit, I let off and then gave it a squirt, seemed normal, gave 'er a 15 second WOT rip and backed off again, went for another klick and it labored again and shut off. fawk....opened the panel, tried to turn the clutch and it was stuck. worked it back and forth a bit and got it loose, it started but I just shut it off and sent buddy for the truck. fired it to load 'er up....damage was done. monoblock toast. put a set of Koso's on when I put the new shortblock in it.....wow....never realized how fricken lean the XP was at that throttle position. scary lean, if I hold it there it will run the EGT's up to almost 1300F

TimG

Reaction score
Yamaha believed that it was an impossibility to build a reliable twin with a displacement as large as 800. They wouldn't even build a 700 twin. In fact, they didn't even like having a 600 twin and replaced it with a 600 triple. And everyone knows yamaha's standard for reliability is different from the domestic manufacturers. I believe it had something to do with breathing and cooling characteristics of a piston that size in a two stroke twin configuration.

The other problem is the EPA. I remember reading somewhere that it costs 10 X as much to design an engine now as it did ten years ago because of the EPA requirements. That's also why they're so lean.

As well, these engines are putting out more power per cc than ever before. It's getting to be like MX bikes- pistons every 20 hours or so keep them happy. Just like bikes, it is the price to pay for a high performance engine.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha believed that it was an impossibility to build a reliable twin with a displacement as large as 800. They wouldn't even build a 700 twin. In fact, they didn't even like having a 600 twin and replaced it with a 600 triple. And everyone knows yamaha's standard for reliability is different from the domestic manufacturers. I believe it had something to do with breathing and cooling characteristics of a piston that size in a two stroke twin configuration.

The other problem is the EPA. I remember reading somewhere that it costs 10 X as much to design an engine now as it did ten years ago because of the EPA requirements. That's also why they're so lean.

As well, these engines are putting out more power per cc than ever before. It's getting to be like MX bikes- pistons every 20 hours or so keep them happy. Just like bikes, it is the price to pay for a high performance engine.
I have towed yamaha tripple out multiple times with melted middle piston. Reliable? Towed with an 800 doo with 7600k on original engine lol
Have seen 800 etecs with 15000km on original pistons.... it's all about how you take care of them. Warm up and throttle control as said above. Over rev any engine an problems will show up

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15000 on original pistons, man I would be nervous every time I rode that no matter what brand. Pushing it there a little, no?
I think, like everything, some get a good one and some get a lemon, search anything, find guys who love their........and some guys who would never buy that POS again, way to many factors. Just hope YOU got a good one.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW SOO MUCH BS on this thread, some of you guys need a better hobbie then just sleds and weed.
The next thing i'll read is "my buddies doo has 20,000miles and he's never put a wrench on it and he pull's dudes out almost every time we go out....ohya...all Poo's too or triples" .....hahahaha....hey maybe the pulled out sled had 30-40,000miles on it.

All i can think is if you have that kind of milage on any "mountian sled" you either ride out east on trails or like a pussy in the mountians.

Too the OP, welcome to the snowmobile world and 2strokes, hope you have a fat wallet, cause your going to need it in this sport.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of a 2012freeride with over 12,000k on original pistons,, Gotta admit that would make me nervous too,,, time to switch them out id say...lol That's one of Rob Alfords old sleds... Hoping to get 6000+ k on my 2014 freeride, this season,,, trouble free,,, well on my way. But ill report back at the end of the season. I kinda ride like a pussy tho.....

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of a 2012freeride with over 12,000k on original pistons,, Gotta admit that would make me nervous too,,, time to switch them out id say...lol That's one of Rob Alfords old sleds... Hoping to get 6000+ k on my 2014 freeride, this season,,, trouble free,,, well on my way. But ill report back at the end of the season. I kinda ride like a pussy tho.....
Haha yep got a buddy that had 11000 km on his 2011 800E 163 before he did piston update ,but people would rather read all the bad things good stuffs boring .Good fuel and proper clutching really adds life to a motor .

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of a 2012freeride with over 12,000k on original pistons,, Gotta admit that would make me nervous too,,, time to switch them out id say...lol That's one of Rob Alfords old sleds...

So, I am not a mechanic, but when you say it is time to switch them out, what all is involved? New pistons and rings, that's it? Or what else....?

Top Bottom