Sewer,water line replacement ??

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So contractor who was gutting my basement broke my water line before the meter off at the concrete by accident
So once we got city main shut off and water cleaned up. Turns out my line is lead so I'm going to replace it but my sewer is 100 years old too. And are side by side.
Has anyone done the trench less method ?
Contractor guys says they can pull both lines in from street.

Guy quoted me $1500 to dig trench. So I'd guess $500 to $1000 for plumber for the rest. I'll cut the floor out in basement back to the stack.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lead waterline??

Pretty common 100 years ago. I had my water tested couple times. Zero lead. I think what happens is it corrodes inside so bad you don't get the lead anymore. I'm sure the guy who owned it for the first 30 years might have not faired too well.

My sewer line is clay and paper too. They did stuff a little different back then.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know they can put a liner in sewer lines but not sure how in the waterline unless they downsize it or directional drill. Ya the first 30 years would have got most of the lead now they are the greenys of BC.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple directional drills... But you would still need to dig up the street end with a hoe

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue happening at a rental property i own in Drayton Valley. It was built in the 70's and has a good water line but the sewer line is clay and started to collapse. Gonna have to do the work this summer so i will be watching this thread for any recommendations!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trenching is waaay cheaper imo.

I cut tree down today.

I'll remove front steps tomorrow. Which need to be replaced any way.

Then I'll cut basement floor back to the stack to install new sewer line from street to stack. ...

I'm not sure what stairs will cost. But for me it's better money spent then the $7000 for the trench less method.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I inspector local contractors in Calgary all the time for Trenchless. They can pull both lines at once. They will need to dig a hole on the street to actually make the connection. It is definitely a cheaper alternative. Around here cost, cost for trenching in a new service can be around the 30-40000 mark.

most all will pull the line on the same alignment as your existing service, they will use your current clay sanitary service for alignment and grade. The water will be beside it as they just have a excavation pit there for pulling it, doesn't necessarly mean it has to be beside each other. Ask if they will be doing a camera check before and after the service is installed. Some of the old clay services can have back grade, as well red deer has a lot of silty soils which can cause settlement. You would want to identify this first and after the service is installed.

the materials they uses generally are HDPE pipe. Ask about the connection point. A lot of contractors use a standard rubber (approx 4") coupler with 1 small single strap on each end. IMHO this is not enough. hDPE has a high rate of expansion and contraction, this insufficient connection can pull out of a standard coupler. Get them to use a extra long coupler (approx. 12") with double fat banding. Some go as far as using some concrete to try and hold it, this may be considered over kill.

your price for Trenchless seems extremely low, most guys around here charge around 7-9000 from the main to your house. Calgary is a little diffrent require special contractor approvals and permits to do the work. I know when I was in red deer working it was more cowboy days than calgarys policies.

lead services are very common in older neighbourhoods, having inspected a lot of work around the red deer area in the past you would be surprised how common it still is.

edit, just re read but what contractor is going to redo your service for $1000? To redo the water service from the main on the street to you house the contractor will need to dig a hole in the street. Asphalt alone will be near half that cost.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I inspector local contractors in Calgary all the time for Trenchless. They can pull both lines at once. They will need to dig a hole on the street to actually make the connection. It is definitely a cheaper alternative. Around here cost, cost for trenching in a new service can be around the 30-40000 mark.

most all will pull the line on the same alignment as your existing service, they will use your current clay sanitary service for alignment and grade. The water will be beside it as they just have a excavation pit there for pulling it, doesn't necessarly mean it has to be beside each other. Ask if they will be doing a camera check before and after the service is installed. Some of the old clay services can have back grade, as well red deer has a lot of silty soils which can cause settlement. You would want to identify this first and after the service is installed.

the materials they uses generally are HDPE pipe. Ask about the connection point. A lot of contractors use a standard rubber (approx 4") coupler with 1 small single strap on each end. IMHO this is not enough. hDPE has a high rate of expansion and contraction, this insufficient connection can pull out of a standard coupler. Get them to use a extra long coupler (approx. 12") with double fat banding. Some go as far as using some concrete to try and hold it, this may be considered over kill.

your price for Trenchless seems extremely low, most guys around here charge around 7-9000 from the main to your house. Calgary is a little diffrent require special contractor approvals and permits to do the work. I know when I was in red deer working it was more cowboy days than calgarys policies.

lead services are very common in older neighbourhoods, having inspected a lot of work around the red deer area in the past you would be surprised how common it still is.

edit, just re read but what contractor is going to redo your service for $1000? To redo the water service from the main on the street to you house the contractor will need to dig a hole in the street. Asphalt alone will be near half that cost.

The back hoe guy is charging me $1500 for trench and all connections outside the house. I guessed a plumber would be $1000 for inside at most as I'm cutting out concrete. But also getting him to rough in drain and toilet for basement. I'll find out Monday

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The back hoe guy is charging me $1500 for trench and all connections outside the house. I guessed a plumber would be $1000 for inside at most as I'm cutting out concrete. But also getting him to rough in drain and toilet for basement. I'll find out Monday

Is he going to the main or just to the property line?

if he's only going to the property line, to be honest, your just wasting money. unless you can get the city to finish off the rest of the service.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is he going to the main or just to the property line?

if he's only going to the property line, to be honest, your just wasting money. unless you can get the city to finish off the rest of the service.

City replaced sewer and water line last year. Dug up the entire street and replaced everything. ...100 years old. I used to have the water break hotline number on my phone as when I left for work at 5 am I'd find lots of busted water mains.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds right to me. The materials are cheap and about any excavation guy is capable of installing them. If the city replaced there main, surely they put new tees in so the road wouldnt need to be ripped up again.

cant you just run the line else where and avoid your stairs?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most main replacement programs just re connect the service to the main. They don't actually go right to property line with the service replacement.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most main replacement programs just re connect the service to the main. They don't actually go right to property line with the service replacement.

no but the city owns like 33 ft of your property from the road so they would take care of that section. basically to where your water shut off valve is.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got her dug up today. The city side was all new stuff. So good on that side we are connected up sewer and new 1" water line. Barack filled most of trench but tomorrow we will put a couple piles in for new steps/deck. "Wife add on"
Spent most of day yesterday digging out basement trench for rough in for shower, toilet, sink and tie in into stack. .... I'm not built for digging!

Top Bottom