Setting race sag?

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there knows what static and race sag should be for a 2006 yz125?
My kid shot up about 6" and gained around 30 lbs since I got him the bike a year ago. He weighs about 195 now so I'm not sure if I can set it properly on the stock spring or if I'll need to get a heavier one.
Thanks for any info.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think between 105 and 110 rider sag is pretty close. Not sure about static sag though. Just judging from some of my buddies Japanese mx bikes. My katoom is between 100 an 105.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Upon further thinking, I can't even remember how to measure it. Been a long time since I've had to do it.
Static sag is the distance between fully extended and just the weight of the bike.
Race sag is the difference between fully extended and weight of rider?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use a tips measure with millimeters. I usually measure that the rear axle nut
To the middle of The rear fender, measure where you want just make sure you measure in the same spot every time.
STATIC SAG: dimension (A): bike is jacked up so rear tire is off the ground. Measure ad write it down.
Dimension (B): bike is on ground but with no weight.
The difference between A and B is your static sag. Your static sag should
Be 35mm give take a few.
RIDING SAG: get the rider (with gear in) to stand on the pegs to get a consistent result (bounce up and down a few times to level rear suspension) this measure the sag and mark it down as dimension C. Now take dimension A and subtract dimension C from it and this is your riding sag, it should be around 105mm give or take 5. Hope this helps.

Sent from my mobile telephone

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Everything helps. Once I get that set then it may be time to play with the rebound/compression downing as well.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sending the suspension to a company like Enzo or Pro Action makes a huge difference as well. I had mine done this winter and it made a massive difference.

Reaction score
Here's an old article I've scanned and saved for years from Dirt Bike magazine. Polardragon800's reply also explained it well, however here's something that you can save & print with a diagram to help you out. Hope this helps.
suspension tuning 1.jpg

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Thanks all! Now I just need the time to do it. Work keeps getting in the way of having fun. With any luck I'll only have to make minor adjustments. Hope I don't need to change out a spring.

Top Bottom