Rolling coal?

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
huge smoke doesnt mean big power but in some cases it can as you witness with the sled pullers!...

Mod pullers use fuel to cool the egt's, most people are taught as you add fuel in a diesel egt's go up (opposite of a gasser). While this is true, it is only to a point, when you overfuel a diesel hard enough it will actually start putting out the fire, and start cooling off again. Even with massive a/w intercoolers, and huge amounts of water being injected, it is still very difficult to cool 2500hp+ worth of air mass.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mod pullers use fuel to cool the egt's, most people are taught as you add fuel in a diesel egt's go up (opposite of a gasser). While this is true, it is only to a point, when you overfuel a diesel hard enough it will actually start putting out the fire, and start cooling off again. Even with massive a/w intercoolers, and huge amounts of water being injected, it is still very difficult to cool 2500hp+ worth of air mass.

Definately agree with ya! lots of the big smokey's clean up real nice with some Nitrous and other injectables. Alot of that smoke is getting the big massive turbos to lite and spool. pretty cool watching and hearing those trucks start winding up then take off.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No nitrous in pulling. Well water does help, and a mod puller does use a ton of water (I know of a few guys that run more then 2 gallons over the 300'), they still need to overfuel it hard to get the egt's in check. But comparing a mod puller to a street truck is like comparing tundra works sled, to a 1200cc turbo 174". They are both snowmobiles but the similarities pretty much stop there.

I am very aware of nitrous and big turbo's, I crew chief for a 9 second truck, it is in my garage currently getting it's winter overhaul. We are working on even less smoke on spool up this year, despite going to a much larger turbo configuration.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be too small. :p More like off a big Waukesha. LOL

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This turbo should move enough air for ya, may spool a little slower than you want though.

Attachments

• tcv 013.jpg
    tcv 013.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 184
Top Bottom