Road conditions. Wow!!

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
This is the first year I bought actual winter tires and had them studded. That was the best investment ever. I will never run winter again with out them. This is on a f350 long box single axle. I still chain up on the logging road into our cabin when hauling the enclosed but
on the highway and especially around town traction is unbelievable.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have studded winter tires and the difference between them and all-seasons is night and day, rarely do I need 4x4 around town or the highway and if the roads are so icey that I need 4x4 to go down the road I stay home if I can, if I must go I take my time and drive for the conditions....on a side note is I don't pull a big ass enclosed that when loaded weighs more than my truck.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sorry if you misinterpreted. I was not saying dont use 4x when you have a huge enclosed trailer with tons of weight. People just need to drive to the conditions. If traction is sketchy, slow down. From my experience, I dont see guys with huge enclosed trailers in the ditch. Mostly people going too fast because they think their awd or 4wd makes it impossible for them to slide out. Or just have zero winter driving experience and slam the brakes and then reef the steering around like its going to help. I know in any 4x vehicle ive been in, running 4wd GREATLY increases the fuel consumption. More moving parts require more power = more fuel useage.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In this day and age, traction control in vehicles, makes a poor driver better. You can run in four wheel and if it breaks loose the truck will counter act and keep you in control. I'm speaking of when you pulling hard, not when taking corners or etc at too fast a speed. However being a bit older and growing up with the 1973 Chevy 4x4 ripping up the roads. You break that F*^&er loose in four wheel at 110kms you better kiss your A%@ cause I don't care if your the king of off road you will not gain control. Four wheels spinning at the same time will not gain traction.
For that reason I'm old school and run in two wheel at highway speeds. In town I will kick it into four wheel.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some real arrogance from some people. Running 4x4 isn't a go fast button. Running 2x4 doesn't make you a better driver. Drive safe people. I'm tired of other people killing people I know just because of pure ignorance.

Last edited:

butters

Reaction score
Hwy 16 by vegreville a couple hours ago. Looks like he was westbound...jumped the snow bank, endoed, then ended up facing east.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hwy 16 by vegreville a couple hours ago. Looks like he was westbound...jumped the snow bank, endoed, then ended up facing east.

Looks like a Sanjel truck. Possibly fell asleep...maybe texting? Roads do look ok.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

butters

Reaction score
Trican, the tracks from the westbound look like maybe someone cut him off or crossed in front. Roads were dry except the snow he piled on to the highway. No tracks in the snow for a ways then a big hole!

butters

Reaction score
Trican, the tracks from the westbound look like maybe someone cut him off or crossed in front. Roads were dry except the snow he piled on to the highway. No tracks in the snow for a ways then a big hole!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It used to be that you could trust that the majority of the heavy truck drivers were all seasoned professionals, now not so much, then add in the arrogant, self absorbed , ain't I special attitude that we are seeing everywhere, especially on this forum, everyone should make sure their driving habits include a huge dose of defensive driving. Cause a lot of these careless fools are dangerous, mixed with large portions of stupidity.
And a big thanks to the actual professional drivers who are courteous and safe.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In this day and age, traction control in vehicles, makes a poor driver better. You can run in four wheel and if it breaks loose the truck will counter act and keep you in control. I'm speaking of when you pulling hard, not when taking corners or etc at too fast a speed. However being a bit older and growing up with the 1973 Chevy 4x4 ripping up the roads. You break that F*^&er loose in four wheel at 110kms you better kiss your A%@ cause I don't care if your the king of off road you will not gain control. Four wheels spinning at the same time will not gain traction.
For that reason I'm old school and run in two wheel at highway speeds. In town I will kick it into four wheel.
Lived this ….My ol man owned a GM Dealership and I was driving the 73 4X4 parts truck like an idiot and hit a big ol oak tree out of control and did a complete 360 and just went to the body shop. How I made up a bull**** story of a 4 dr black chef impala pulled out in front of me.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IF its that terrible of roads then just put it in 4H.its not going to hurt nothing unless you decide to start doing circles in a dry parking lot, but as far as this concern of speed hurting your drive train in 4H there is not an issue.its the same parts that drive the rear axle and it works just fine at hiway speeds. the fuel consumption difference is nothing.if you hit the ditch and wreck your truck, well now you have a tow bill,a repair bill, a ruined trip and hotel cancelation fees.(or perhaps worse depending where your truck goes when it looses traction, i.e.: into a oncoming semi tractor) in my mega cab it kicks out in two wheel drive,but in four wheel it is a lot harder to make it spin even on extremely slippery roads. 4 H does not mean high speed it means high range as in gear ratio inside the transfer case, so just slow down. your not riding tonight anyway your only going to get to the hotel and go to sleep or what ever you do but your not going to save that much time so relax and crank up the tunes and realize that the semi thats doing 60 down the hiway probably doesn't get paid by the hour so theres a reason he's going that slow.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the first year I bought actual winter tires and had them studded. That was the best investment ever. I will never run winter again with out them. This is on a f350 long box single axle. I still chain up on the logging road into our cabin when hauling the enclosed but
on the highway and especially around town traction is unbelievable.

If you don't mind me asking what winter tires are you running on your F350 and what was the cost? The reason I am asking is that I have had a hell of a time this winter with my F350 getting stuck and spinning out. I am still running the same tires when I bought the truck; Michellon All Terrains and I have sworn I will not go another winter without proper winter tires.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
If you don't mind me asking what winter tires are you running on your F350 and what was the cost? The reason I am asking is that I have had a hell of a time this winter with my F350 getting stuck and spinning out. I am still running the same tires when I bought the truck; Michellon All Terrains and I have sworn I will not go another winter without proper winter tires.[/QUOTE
al
I have cooper arctic claws. They were 1650 out the door. I will probably run them until April then buy some geolanders for summer.

Top Bottom