Rivian & Ford - the 'Tesla Killer' Electric Truck

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not much information yet, claims of 640 km to a charge, but can it tow anything? and what is the km to charge if your towing...
Have one greenie neighbor turns is nose up at my one ton dually, and thinks I'm responsible for the worlds pollution, we pull 15 to 20,000 lb loads...
It's going to be a while till they figure out how to make a truck that can do that, that I can afford....

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not much information yet, claims of 640 km to a charge, but can it tow anything? and what is the km to charge if your towing...
Have one greenie neighbor turns is nose up at my one ton dually, and thinks I'm responsible for the worlds pollution, we pull 15 to 20,000 lb loads...
It's going to be a while till they figure out how to make a truck that can do that, that I can afford....

Yeaa I’m not sure how an electric vehicle would handle under load. Most electronics just stall when you try operating them under a load they are not capable of over-coming.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
I was reading that another problem in city’s and towns is as more people move to electric vehicles is there going to be the ability for 3 / 5 / 10 / 20 vehicles to pull electricity from the grid in a neighborhood at one time before its overwhelmed.
Food for thought.

Just think about all the neighbourhoods that have street parking only, extension cords all over with people trying to charge there vehicles.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Electric motors are capable of tremendous torque, much more so than a combustion engine. Technology is evolving thats a good thing to make these vehicles more practical for average consumers.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Electric motors are capable of tremendous torque, much more so than a combustion engine. Technology is evolving that's a good thing to make these vehicles more practical for average consumers.

Sorry, explain to me how an electric vehicle can make more torque than a gas/diesel fired engine? I thought low end power/gearing is what electric motors lacked

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DC electric motors make way more torque, and make maximum torque at 0rpm. That's why they use them (diesel electric, the diesel powers a generator for the electric motors) on trains and tanker ships.

Last edited:

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lilduke is correct, electric motors have a tremendous advantage in torque production over IC engines and can produce 100% rated torque at zero speed if the necessary cooling is provided. Not only trains but mining equipment like shovels and haul trucks use electric drives to produce maximum "break-out" torque to get things moving. With modern inverter electronic drives even AC induction motors have speed-torque characteristics similar to DC motors, but with the benefit of not requiring separate excitation systems, sliprings etc.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just look how quick those tesla's are. Family car that beats hellcats in the quarter mile.

Electric truck will be able to tow anything with ease. It's just a matter of what kind of range it will have.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well then I stand corrected. Looks like I learnt something today!

Interesting indeed... But X2 on the mileage. I certainly wouldn't want to turn an already 6.5 hour drive into a longer one while waiting for my truck to charge in Canmore...unless it could also drive for me from there.... because then I can get on the :beer::beer: 's early

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Battery technology is mainly the only reason these aren't popular on the market yet. Trucks are meant to and need to tow. Power and torque on tap if need be is more than easily capable of absolutely boiling and obliterating all 4 tires like a top fuel dragster, all at once. Battery tech is pretty darn good nowadays, but it isn't good enough yet for longevity. Ev's will carry or pull themselves along just fine, strap a large payload on to the back of one now you have 25-35% of your original range of distance. They draw major current or a ton of amps.

What i I think would be handy is if 3 of the 4 corners were drive wheels and supplied power, while the forth was attached to a generator to self charge the batteries onboard. Better yet, if all 4 corners were capable of being both drivers and power generators with the option to have them selectable depending on traction or needs at the time that would probably be even more optimal. If you had 2 driving and 2 generating life would be good.

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Battery technology is mainly the only reason these aren't popular on the market yet. Trucks are meant to and need to tow. Power and torque on tap if need be is more than easily capable of absolutely boiling and obliterating all 4 tires like a top fuel dragster, all at once. Battery tech is pretty darn good nowadays, but it isn't good enough yet for longevity. Ev's will carry or pull themselves along just fine, strap a large payload on to the back of one now you have 25-35% of your original range of distance. They draw major current or a ton of amps.

What i I think would be handy is if 3 of the 4 corners were drive wheels and supplied power, while the forth was attached to a generator to self charge the batteries onboard. Better yet, if all 4 corners were capable of being both drivers and power generators with the option to have them selectable depending on traction or needs at the time that would probably be even more optimal. If you had 2 driving and 2 generating life would be good.

If you go back to your grade nine science classes you would remember this. Perpetual motion machines do not exist. (Energy can not be created nor destroyed, it can only change state.) With one of the wheels acting as a generator that one wheel would need to get it's energy from the other three wheels motors. Factor in efficiency losses as well as frictional losses and you you will find yourself using more energy than you are generating.

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go back to your grade nine science classes you would remember this. Perpetual motion machines do not exist. (Energy can not be created nor destroyed, it can only change state.) With one of the wheels acting as a generator that one wheel would need to get it's energy from the other three wheels motors. Factor in efficiency losses as well as frictional losses and you you will find yourself using more energy than you are generating.

Yeah man I guess I chit the bed in grade 9 science hey! There are far more geniuses brainstorming this topic than I could probably imagine. Why couldn't a series of alternators on each corner driven by the wheels with invertertors work then to charge onboard batteries?

Im willing to bet the technology is already there to pull this sort of thing off, it s just not being released. There is mad money in fuelling the fire instead of putting it out. Just ask Tom Ogle.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah man I guess I chit the bed in grade 9 science hey! There are far more geniuses brainstorming this topic than I could probably imagine. Why couldn't a series of alternators on each corner driven by the wheels with invertertors work then to charge onboard batteries?

Im willing to bet the technology is already there to pull this sort of thing off, it s just not being released. There is mad money in fuelling the fire instead of putting it out. Just ask Tom Ogle.

because they would act as a brake and would take more energy to spin then they can generate. they aleady have rengerative braking, meaning that they generate a bit of power when you are slowing down that goes back into the battery.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe I am vain, but that truck is so damn ugly that no matter how good it worked I wouldnt buy one. Jesus, even Dodge owners would point and laugh.

Couldn't agree more. front clip looks stupid IMO. I don't know why they couldn't just make it look like their standard F150 instead of going giving it a millennial face-lift.

Top Bottom