Rhino lack of power in reverse??

tmurphy

Reaction score
So I was out on my Rhino for the first time today and I have a question. It's a 2007 660. Snorkled with 14" wheels and 27" mud lites.

I stoppped on a steep hill, when I put it into reverse to try to back up the hill, it kept cutting in and out. Absolutley no power, the rpm's weren't even coming up so I don't think it was a rev limit issue.

Later on I got stuck in a hole. Again, when I tried to back up it wouldn't even let the rpm's come up to get the wheels spinning????????? Kept cutting in and out??????

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a built in safety feature on the rhino's that is a huge pain in the arse. They will not allow you to rev it in reverse. Need to get a chip / box or jumper it if possible.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, aftermarket CDI or you can bypass the limiter and put it on a toggle. Only bad deal with the toggle is you lose the reverse indicator light when it's on.
I'd just order a Hunteworks box and be done with it.

Mikehunt

Reaction score
You might need a clutch kit too. The 660 have a high reverse gear it is almost the same as high

motrhed

Reaction score
With 27" tires a clutch kit is a must and most aftermarket CDI's will eliminate the rev limiters. I have had the best luck with EPI's Sport clutch kit and Black Rhino's CDI, both work well with stockish Rhinos. The biggest increase in torque/performance came from a Yosimura dual exhaust (CDI and clutch kit come first though). I recommend 26" tires with a clutch kit, the 27's look good but they draw the power down too much in my opinion.
I've had an '07 since new (with many mods), it performs really well (54MPH) and is very reliable.

Top Bottom