Replaced recoil rope, engine seems to pull over harder?

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Replaced recoil rope on a 2016 M8000 and now it seems to pull over harder. Not continuously harder, just jerkily harder. Even when warm, it seems to have a few more hard jerks in it to the point it is hard to pull cleanly with one hand. I pulled the recoil off again and the rope and recoil seem to pull freely and cleanly with no sticking. The rope is run through the same configuration so I am a little stumped. I did replace the rope with a marine grade 1/4", which is almost exactly the same width as the 6mm cat rope, but I don't see how it is sticking anywhere. The jerkyness really seems to be coming from the compression strokes, but I rode it all day yesterday and other than the hard to pull over, it ran perfectly.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Replaced recoil rope on a 2016 M8000 and now it seems to pull over harder. Not continuously harder, just jerkily harder. Even when warm, it seems to have a few more hard jerks in it to the point it is hard to pull cleanly with one hand. I pulled the recoil off again and the rope and recoil seem to pull freely and cleanly with no sticking. The rope is run through the same configuration so I am a little stumped. I did replace the rope with a marine grade 1/4", which is almost exactly the same width as the 6mm cat rope, but I don't see how it is sticking anywhere. The jerkyness really seems to be coming from the compression strokes, but I rode it all day yesterday and other than the hard to pull over, it ran perfectly.

Your rope is binding, wrong rope.
IMO you should had used Cat rope, if your rope is stretching, which i bet it is, it will bind. Pull start rope will not stretch and will remain lapped on top of it self.
When a rope is stretched its out side diameter changes, that the problem.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lund. Definitely has to be the problem. Only reason I went to the marine store was cat dealer is of course closed all through Christmas and tough to get there. The marine stuff sure seems tough to the point it is tough to cut with a knife, but I agree really cant be any other option.

Top Bottom