Renegade shocks

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have pounded the crap out of my factory fox shocks on my xxc. The rears are especially worn out. Im not sure if I should rebuild them or order elka shocks. They (elka) tell me the legacy series shocks are good enough to exceed the performance of the fox shocks my quad came with. I'm leaning towards a stage 4 or 5 series elka. Has any one changed shocks on a reny or scrambler to elkas? I'm running 26" Carlisle act tires and 90% of my riding is high speed woods riding or rocky foot hills trails around waipourous and cadomin. When it gets rough I like to go fast and need a shock that will last.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have pounded the crap out of my factory fox shocks on my xxc. The rears are especially worn out. Im not sure if I should rebuild them or order elka shocks. They (elka) tell me the legacy series shocks are good enough to exceed the performance of the fox shocks my quad came with. I'm leaning towards a stage 4 or 5 series elka. Has any one changed shocks on a reny or scrambler to elkas? I'm running 26" Carlisle act tires and 90% of my riding is high speed woods riding or rocky foot hills trails around waipourous and cadomin. When it gets rough I like to go fast and need a shock that will last.

im running the elkas stage 4 on my renegade. they work awesome. i run them on everything from high speed trail to slimmie rock crawling.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i had elka stage 4's on my 2007 gade back in 2008... then it got stolen in 10... on my 10 gade i had KYB Hygear Suspension shocks... they where awesome... put over 10000 km on them.... now i am back with Elka stage 4's again... ... Elka had a sale a few months ago and where selling there lagacy stage 4 which were 3 grand new plus gst for 1570 gst in shipped to your door.... Elka has switched to an all aluminum body shock hence the stage 5 which is the same as the old stage 4's but with bigger valving and fluild transfer.....thats why they had the sale cause of the all alum shock body switch...

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i had elka stage 4's on my 2007 gade back in 2008... then it got stolen in 10... on my 10 gade i had KYB Hygear Suspension shocks... they where awesome... put over 10000 km on them.... now i am back with Elka stage 4's again... ... Elka had a sale a few months ago and where selling there lagacy stage 4 which were 3 grand new plus gst for 1570 gst in shipped to your door.... Elka has switched to an all aluminum body shock hence the stage 5 which is the same as the old stage 4's but with bigger valving and fluild transfer.....thats why they had the sale cause of the all alum shock body switch...[/QUOTE
Are the legacy steel bodies (stage 3) better than the fox OEM. Or should I get stage 4s

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you like spirted riding... fast woods with giving her ... i would go with the four's... now i think elka has changed there discription on the 3, 4 and 5 shocks... i have the old fours... they have rebound... low and high compression and of course ride height .... i am thinking the 5's now have that and the 4's are only one compression adjustment....?

anyways... the difference between the hi/low compression to the single compression adjustment is the LOW compression adjusts how much the bike leans in corners and how much it dives the front end when you apply the brakes hard... the HI speed adjuster adjusts the stiffness of when the shocks get hit hard.. like off jumps and doing fast woops... and hard impact or HI speed is controlled seperate from low speed compression.. where as the single adjuster and you cant fine tune it.... if your just a slower weekend rider then go the one compression adjustment... if your into fast performance riding then the HI/LOW is the ticket...

there is a noticeable difference in the single to the dual adjustments...

Last edited:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok i just went to there site.... in there regualar series now the features that the 4's had are now on the 5's... so the new 4's are now lower of a shock cause of the 5's coming out last year.... the lagacy series is the old stage 3 shock in steel and is a great shock but you had full adjustables FOX on your machine which had HI/LOW compression ... so the lagacy series are actually a step back from what you had... the thing you do have is a triple spring set up on the elkas and the springs you get are to your weight..... whereas the spring on the oem foxes are single springs and rated for a 180 lb rider....

Last edited:
Top Bottom