Question about 09 XP

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine picked up an 09 XP at the end of last year so he hasn't had much time on it. Went for a ride this evening. When he lets off the throttle it doesn't come down to idle. The sled actually holds around 5000rpm. It will come down after you have sat for a few minutes. Or if you blip the throttle a few times it comes back down to idle quicker.

It really seems to do it everytime you let off the throttle. The throttle isn't stuck or sticking. Possibly over fuelling? Anyone else having similar problems?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's called hanging idle.

If u flip the choke the first notch for a sec it will come down

If it idled back up after then u have a air leak or little bit dirty carbs or need to turn the pilot jets up ( or bigger jets )

sent from my htc

jackinthebox

Reaction score
there's a few variables here to look at..worn out slides in carb,crack in reed boot,dirty jet,bad nozzle,compression..how many km?

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's called hanging idle.

If u flip the choke the first notch for a sec it will come down

If it idled back up after then u have a air leak or little bit dirty carbs or need to turn the pilot jets up ( or bigger jets )

sent from my htc

I'm not that current on the XPs so this may sound like a dumb question. Are they not fuel injected? So if it is I shouldn't have to mess with jetting? (this is where you can all make fun of me now) The last DOO I owned was a 670

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish they were full injected...'09 has the carbs. Posted while sneekering to myself, '09 fuel injected, pffft. J/K

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for giving me a few things to check. I called up a buddy of mine that is a former Doo rider and he gave me lots of things to check too. Should have it figured out soon.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say plugged or partially pilot jets - if he never added any fuel stabilizer or ran it periodically through summer the fuel tends to ghum up - usually high idle indicates lean fuel mixture - id give carbs a cleaning and go from there

Top Bottom