Purchasing a fifth wheel hitch

Reaction score
Hello I am trying to figure out which gooseneck hitch and fifth wheel conversion hitch to purchase. I looked at the Reese Hide A Goose and the B & W Turn over ball with there respective fifth wheel conversion hitches. Does anyone have these hitches and can give me some advice?

Tow Vehicle 3/4 ton 2003 duramax short box

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I am running the B&W in my 5th truck now, for me, there is no better. Most of my trailers are ball but I have the companion as well, and while I have tried others, very hard to beat this hitch. However...if you need a slider, B&W doesnt have it, and I will be the first to say you bought the wrong truck or the wrong trailer LOL. I have a shortbox and pull everything you can imagine, no issues, but you have to be careful on some of the older 5er's as they may hit on a shortbox...

I have had bad luck with Reese in the past but ONLY because they didnt make a hitch heavy enough for my loads, the newer ones look a bit better.

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a B & W Gooseneck with the Companion drop in hitch. I really like that there's no rails in your bed making it a complete flush mount. Quick interchange when I need pull a gooseneck or 5th wheel. I use the Campanion 5th wheel hitch for pulling my 18000lb trailer hauler which has a tendency to give you some sway but with the built in shock absorbers the trailer stays steady. I put on 36000 miles a year hauling trailers and this is the hitch for me! Happy shopping!

pwdrhnd

Reaction score
I run a reese signature series with the underbox mounting system, it locks with 4 dogs set up like an ocean container. I think you can get the ball for it as well for a gooseneck. there is only the pucks sitting about a 1/4" above the box, but a spray in box liner will cure that for me. so far it seems pretty good.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have goose and would not go back to goose in my next truck, truck broke down and had to much trouble finding somebody to move trailer. So now I would go king pin. Just my thought.

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a B & W Gooseneck with the Companion drop in hitch. I really like that there's no rails in your bed making it a complete flush mount. Quick interchange when I need pull a gooseneck or 5th wheel. I use the Campanion 5th wheel hitch for pulling my 18000lb trailer hauler which has a tendency to give you some sway but with the built in shock absorbers the trailer stays steady. I put on 36000 miles a year hauling trailers and this is the hitch for me! Happy shopping!

I also use the Companion, the B&W set up is one sweet way to go. and the switch between the two is about 5 minutes if you take your time. lol

I went this way because I refused to convert my 5er to a ball. Didn't like the thought of changing piviot point that much on a 36ft trailer.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello I am trying to figure out which gooseneck hitch and fifth wheel conversion hitch to purchase. I looked at the Reese Hide A Goose and the B & W Turn over ball with there respective fifth wheel conversion hitches. Does anyone have these hitches and can give me some advice?

Tow Vehicle 3/4 ton 2003 duramax short box

Installed lots of the B&W's on these trucks,very easy install,and very little pissing around trying to square everything up.

OLDHONDA

Reaction score
your correct Growly i have been installing for years in the hitch buiness and there a great hitch to use. myself i use the dsp 17k dpdt and works great and the slideing goose as well but the b&w turnover ball and compainion hitch it great the drop in bed series is good tooo i install lots and there not hard just pain in the asssss. other then that good hitch. if any one in the edmonton area is looking for hitches let me know i can come up with what ever your towing needs are.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run Reese, three trucks, two fifth wheels same hitch no problems. I have the slider but I need to be in a real tight spot with my Ford to need it, never once needed it with my GM's.

Top Bottom