Over revving? What's too high? Is it bad?

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So, I have the '13 RMK Assault. Pulled the 62s out and put 68s in for around Edmonton, Swan Hills, Edson, Whitecourt, etc. (roughly 2200-3300 ft). I rode out to Silver Summit near Edson, and climbing some of the hills, could barely pull 7300 rpm. Thought I almost wouldn't make the climb! Elevation there is about 5000 ft, when I looked it up on the Google machine. Even with the 68s in, around Edson and Edmonton, I could only pull about 7900 rpm, and it seemed slow to get there.

So, in the manual it says ideal RPM is 8250 (+/-300). I put the 62s back in today and went for a rip. Flat out, hit 8500 once, 8450 briefly then back and held at 8400 a couple times.

This thing loves those 62s over the 68s. The weights are all Team 10 series, and at $100 a set, I don't want to be buying another couples sets, and be like, "Hang on guys, before we keep riding, I need to stop for 10 minutes and change weights." I also think that for riding around here and in the mountains, the 62s should be fine, so I don't want to drop $250 on Dalton adjustable weights either.

I guess, I'm asking how bad is over revving a little? Is it just over the peak of the power curve? It's still within the recomended RPM range.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should be able to pull 68's or slightly less. I have dalton adj. and run 67.7 here in Lloyd and 62 in the mountains ('11 pro rmk). I have ridden short distances here with the 62's and you don't want to do that. It doesn't shift well and you will always be revving too high. Sounds like 66's would be a good bet for you if you don't want to use adjustables. Otherwise I have some 64's I will sell you cheap. Heck, I will trade you 64's for your 68's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should be able to pull 68's or slightly less. I have dalton adj. and run 67.7 here in Lloyd and 62 in the mountains ('11 pro rmk). I have ridden short distances here with the 62's and you don't want to do that. It doesn't shift well and you will always be revving too high. Sounds like 66's would be a good bet for you if you don't want to use adjustables. Otherwise I have some 64's I will sell you cheap. Heck, I will trade you 64's for your 68's.

Yeah, I thought about 66s for around here, but what's wrong with revving to 8400? I don't really ride around home a lot, more in the 3000-3300 ft elevation for day trips and obviously the 62s in the mountains. The manual says that I should have 66s for where I live. I understand how the weights control the RPM, and honestly I like how it shifts with the 62s compared to the 68s. It seems to be a lot snappier and throttle response is WAAAY better with the 62s. So, again, what can happen? Just out of the power curve? That's what I am having trouble with. Manual says it should be ok (8250 +/-300).

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out of the power and the chance of hitting the rev limiter. Some have reported going into DET mode with too light of weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with DET on too light of weights. Have had it happen. I run 11-66 outside mountains and 10-62 or 10-64 depending on mountain elevation.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about 66s for around here, but what's wrong with revving to 8400? I don't really ride around home a lot, more in the 3000-3300 ft elevation for day trips and obviously the 62s in the mountains. The manual says that I should have 66s for where I live. I understand how the weights control the RPM, and honestly I like how it shifts with the 62s compared to the 68s. It seems to be a lot snappier and throttle response is WAAAY better with the 62s. So, again, what can happen? Just out of the power curve? That's what I am having trouble with. Manual says it should be ok (8250 +/-300).

change prim spring will help wit the 68g weights. Dont run 62s , dosnt pull nearly as hard as 66 would here.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
look for broken primary spring

I agree with this statement something doesn't add up. You should be able to pull 68s all day long around Stony. It will only cost you 25 bucks to figure this out and if its not the cure you will have an extra for later. Wore out belt will screw things up as well.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you change primary put a Blue pink slp primary spring.

Nothing wrong with 8400. Run my pro at that. Easier to let off a bit than wishing for more rpm when needed.

Top Bottom