New to the forum phazerII rebuild questions

RJH53

Reaction score
I acquired a 92 phazer II with electric start. This sled is very sluggish! I thought i was the carbs so i tore them down and cleaned them and checked them over twice and made sure they were operating just fine. I checked the compression in both cylinders and they check out just fine. I thought maybe the engine is just worn out and needs a fresh start by rebuilding it. Any advice on this would be great!! Also if any one has a recommendations on what "parts" i need to rebuild it would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!!:)

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What was the compression when you tested it? A sluggish sled could be caused by many things. Most common would be one dead spark plug. Other problem could be a bad belt or bad primary clutch spring. Or the clutches could be shot.

RJH53

Reaction score
I believe that the compressing was around 102psi in one cylinder and 99 in the other if i remember correctly but i was a while ago when i tested them. i changed all the plugs and wires when i got it. I use the word sluggish because the engine doesn't seem to want to rev up like the other sled i have, which is an exciter with an arctic cat 700 in it. i know its two completely different engine. Im just trying to narrow it down to what i can do to make it run better everything lead to carbs but i have been through them several times

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
compression is to low, needs a top-end.....make sure to keep an eye on the fan belt, you adjust it by adding or removing shims in the middle of the top pulley

RJH53

Reaction score
And by top end you mean what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And by top end you mean what?

he's referring to a set of pistons and rings. have the cylinders inspected and cleaned. Set of top end gaskets. Common to have to do this to a two stroke engine to keep it running top notch.

RJH53

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info very helpful!! Would you recommend a certain brand of pistons?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info very helpful!! Would you recommend a certain brand of pistons?

in a phazer I would use yamaha pistons....don't use a forged piston in it, they tend to stick due to the high temps an fan cooled 2-stroke sees when worked hard for long time

RJH53

Reaction score
Oh ok that would makes sense I will do some looking around thanks for the info!!

RJH53

Reaction score
Oh ok that would makes sense I will do some looking around thanks for the info!!

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As you mention you aquired it, and some of your replies seem to be on the side of novice, yet you had the carbs dissassembled and reassembled, Are they balanced, these butterfly carbs are finicky, are the float bowl rubbers plugs intact and on the proper tube side? and it mid summer you most likely have not had it out for a good run yet? could simply be loaded up with excess fuel in crankcase.
Before you start ordering expensive parts there is alot more to figure out. You said compression checks out. How many PSI on each cylinder ( i missed reading that) Plugged exhaust from rodents, or rusted internals in silencer calapsed and blocking path. Intake restrictions from rodents, sticking/worn out clutchs, bad or stale or inccorect fuel. I Fixed a poor running sled last year for neighbor and it obviously had gotten some diesel into the tank! bad aftermarket pipes, weak spark, incorrect timing, leaking crank seals, bad or wrong plugs, tight bearings, wrong belt and so on.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As you mention you aquired it, and some of your replies seem to be on the side of novice, yet you had the carbs dissassembled and reassembled, Are they balanced, these butterfly carbs are finicky, are the float bowl rubbers plugs intact and on the proper tube side? and it mid summer you most likely have not had it out for a good run yet? could simply be loaded up with excess fuel in crankcase.
Before you start ordering expensive parts there is alot more to figure out. You said compression checks out. How many PSI on each cylinder ( i missed reading that) Plugged exhaust from rodents, or rusted internals in silencer calapsed and blocking path. Intake restrictions from rodents, sticking/worn out clutchs, bad or stale or inccorect fuel. I Fixed a poor running sled last year for neighbor and it obviously had gotten some diesel into the tank! bad aftermarket pipes, weak spark, incorrect timing, leaking crank seals, bad or wrong plugs, tight bearings, wrong belt and so on.

99 and 102 psi

RJH53

Reaction score

I acquired it last summer and yea i am very new to sleds i have dabbled in 4wheeler/dirt bikes enough to know what i am doing when it come to carbs. not so knowledgeable with dual cabs or butterfly carbs and as far as compression i asked an uncle and said that the compression was just fine when he checked it but as a reply said above its to low. i do not believe that it has a plugged exhaust. i have changed the plugs a few times and also the same with the belt and to me the pipes look stock (compared to just pictures) i cant find names or numbers on them. the carbs have been cleaned, jets have been cleaned and every thing looks intact. i took it to a buddy who said that he is able to balance the carbs (not sure how well that work). next thing i could try is take it to a shop but i would rather figure it out my self because i like to tear things down and see how it ticks and then if there is a problem i can do it my self but i do not want to get into something that i don't know how to but i figure myself decent with a wrench and have been able to fix most me own quads when they are down i'm just trying to narrow it down so i can have a good spare sled for friends to ride.

Top Bottom