Need to fix my odometer/spedo/trip meter

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started to right down some more info for you but talking about twisting the square shaft at the base to feel if the rod is in the speedo just came out sounding all wrong. lol:eek:

Heeee Heeee

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it dosnt turn when you turn the drill its either a broken cable OR the attachment on the head. Did you pull on the square wire inside to see if a piece will come out? if its broken you will be able to pull half out. does the other end of the cable turn with the drill hooked up?

when I spun the cable without the drill it turned on the other end.
I took pictures of the cable ends as I realize I have no idea what "still square" would look like as it is my first time looking at it.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The ends are nice and square. I hooked up my drill to the end of the cable but when I turned it on the speedo didn't move. You figure that #9 on the diagram is it?

Just saying it could be? If your cable is all intact then #9 might have failed. If your cable is intact and it is hooked up to the speedo and the needle does'nt spin with the drill then you have a Speedo issue, not the cable. Maybe the speedo itself may have crapped out? Dought it though. Good luck with your diagnostics :)

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
spin the cable with the drill again and see if you can hold the other end at the same time. Even if a small piece if metal is holding a broken cable together, it will free spin but may not be enough to turn the speedo

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just saying it could be? If your cable is all intact then #9 might have failed. If your cable is intact and it is hooked up to the speedo and the needle does spin with the drill then you have a Speedo issue, not the cable. Maybe the speedo itself may have crapped out? Dought it though. Good luck with your diagnostics :)

it could be the speedo drive but in this case I doubt it. Sleddingmom did say she had the cable connected to the speedo and with a drill, it still wouldnt turn.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
spin the cable with the drill again and see if you can hold the other end at the same time. Even if a small piece if metal is holding a broken cable together, it will free spin but may not be enough to turn the speedo

K I will try this again. I had to go and work for 2 hours but I'm able to be a grease monkey again.
Thanks so much for your help.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are 2 pictures of the ends of the speedo cable.
I think they look square

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are 2 pictures of the ends of the speedo cable.
I think they look square

Sleddingmom... you rock. :) Look at you getting all grease monkeyish!! I love the surgical gloves! Good pictures. Looks like the cable ends are good, Are you sure the speedo cable is not broken? Grab both ends and give them a twist. :confused:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sleddingmom... you rock. :) Look at you getting all grease monkeyish!! I love the surgical gloves! Good pictures. Looks like the cable ends are good, Are you sure the speedo cable is not broken? Grab both ends and give them a twist. :confused:

hee hee I know the gloves! I had dived into my sled 4 times and got all greasy up to my elbows. I had a client coming over for a massage, but I wanted to tinker till the last minute, so gloves were the solution! I'm going to go and hook up the drill again and hold the other end to see how strong the cable is.
Be right back.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hee hee I know the gloves! I had dived into my sled 4 times and got all greasy up to my elbows. I had a client coming over for a massage, but I wanted to tinker till the last minute, so gloves were the solution! I'm going to go and hook up the drill again and hold the other end to see how strong the cable is.
Be right back.

carefull not to twist it too hard

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
carefull not to twist it too hard

I hooked up the drill to the end of the cable again and had my daughter hold the other end tight. The cable spun even when she was holding it tight. Should I still pull the cable to inspect it?

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had this happen to my 99 PS. What happens is there is a square rod that runs from the speedo cable to the front drive shaft. This breaks when the drive bearings go. To replace the drive bearings, you have to pull the track, skid, and front drive shaft out to get at those buggers.

But before you take all that apart, make sure that it is that. When you pull your speedo drive out, there should be a long square shaft, if it is in 2 pieces, it doesnt hurt to get another one and replace the the broken one. If it breaks again, then you have bearings to do.

Had the exact thing happen to my 96 ZRT600 a few years ago. Everything stopped working then the drive bearings went an hour or so later:d

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hooked up the drill to the end of the cable again and had my daughter hold the other end tight. The cable spun even when she was holding it tight. Should I still pull the cable to inspect it?

you have to be careful when spinning cables with a drill could easily over twist them when holding the other end. Sounds to me like you cable is OK. since you have it out already couldn't hurt to lube it up. What I would try next is cont the cable back to the speedo and spin carefully with the dill and watch to see if it works. you may want to try spinning in both dicections ( reverse the drill) as the speed only reads in one direction. Give that a go and see what happens

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the exact thing happen to my 96 ZRT600 a few years ago. Everything stopped working then the drive bearings went an hour or so later:d

that's what I'm affraid of. usually if the speedo stops working for this reason, the damage is already done and she's bearing time.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Crapola..... is it ok to wait until spring to pull my track. I don't really want any down time, especially this late in the season. Sounds like this is a good idea anyway.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started to right down some more info for you but talking about twisting the square shaft at the base to feel if the rod is in the speedo just came out sounding all wrong. lol:eek:

Reap can you try to explain your twisting the square shaft thing to me? No one will go in the gutter right!:nono:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crapola..... is it ok to wait until spring to pull my track. I don't really want any down time, especially this late in the season. Sounds like this is a good idea anyway.

If it is your bearing that is gone and causing your speedo to stop working, then no, waiting til spring isn't an option. Let's hope that this is not the case. Although it sounds like a big job, "to pull your track and change the bearings", it's not all that bad. I've done this job several times on various sleds and usually can do it one evenin' after work. Provided I have all the necessary parts.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reap can you try to explain your twisting the square shaft thing to me? No one will go in the gutter right!:nono:

LOL hook up the cable to the speedo and try turning the cable by hand at the other end to see if you can feel that it is alll the way in you may have to twist it while pushing to see if you can get it in farther. once your sure it is all the way in the speedo try the drill. If the gauge doesn't move. you already know that the cable is ok. so the only thing broken is in the speedo. I am not sure if you can replace the gears to the speedo or if you would need to pick up a used one. From what you have been saying I think the rest of the sled is ok.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you dont need to pull the track, you just have to loosen the set scres on the beariings and sled the drive shaft over but make sure your tracks loose, and you will have to take your chain case apart, weve done it many times like that, and wrecked my speedo key in my old polaris and the bearing never went, when we changed it out the next fall the bearing was still good, but changed it anyway

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is your bearing that is gone and causing your speedo to stop working, then no, waiting til spring isn't an option. Let's hope that this is not the case. Although it sounds like a big job, "to pull your track and change the bearings", it's not all that bad. I've done this job several times on various sleds and usually can do it one evenin' after work. Provided I have all the necessary parts.

Ok. I didn't try the drill in reverse so I'll do that first. I'm thinking that I will get a new speedo cable. If all goes well the clouds will part, angels will sing and my speedo will work. If not I will pull the track and change the bearings. What takes you one night will probably take me a couple of days, I better be real nice to sleddingdad! Changing the cable and bearings sound like good ideas anyways. Win/Win
Thanks so much.:beer::d

Top Bottom