need guidance...

bathtub28

Reaction score
I am new to the boosted 4 strokes and am looking to join the club but realy do not know the ups and downs . Am riding alot of boondocking and just "hotdogin" at low ele. and only do the big climbs on ocasion. Am looking at a nytro but have a choice between a MPI stage 1 supercharged kit and a MCexpr. 180 turbo kit. which is the wise choise for daily pump gas driving wich from time to time can be cranked up! (race). ? pros cons please and thanx.

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try this idea...... Get the 240 kit and only run 8-10 lbs and when you want to climb turn it up to 12lbs. You will on pump gas and just turn the key and go. Then if you ever want to go really big all you have to do is add the bigger fuel pump and flash the computer.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
supercharger means race fuel, no more pit stops at 10pm at farmer joes begging for a gallon. Turbo a bit more relaxed if boost is not cranked.
I run my at 12psi, if i need to get a nice line I have 4 more psi at the crank of a knob. 3000k and still strong on pump gas

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
supercharger means race fuel, no more pit stops at 10pm at farmer joes begging for a gallon. Turbo a bit more relaxed if boost is not cranked.
I run my at 12psi, if i need to get a nice line I have 4 more psi at the crank of a knob. 3000k and still strong on pump gas

What he said..... Turbo.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Cranking up" the MPI kit takes a bit of wrenching, swapping pulleys. The MPI kit will make more power as it will make 11psi (220hp) but you will either need to run a mix of race gas at this level or install a head shim. I'm not as familiar with the Nytro kit but on the Apex you can run at 5psi on pump gas (depending on elevation) which should put you at similar power as the MCX kit (approx. 175hp).

You need to be able to run the fuel box on the MPI kit to keep it tuned correctly. The MCX kit is idiot proof - it adjusts the boost and fuel map automatically to match atmospheric changes (temp, elev, etc).

Last edited:

bathtub28

Reaction score
Thanx everyone for the input and jsut so know i will be going with the MCX 240 kit ! Hope it all works out for the best....best thing though is that the dealer is going to give me the one year waranty with my new 2010 mtx 240 nytro!

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that the rear mount? I hear nothing but good things about the 2010 with the rear mount. If only we had some snow I could find out for myself. I sure did not like the 2008 with the front mount turbo. Not so much the turbo, but the sled itself. I could not boondock on that thing to save my life.

bathtub28

Reaction score
Yes it is the rear mount on the 2010 and also have heard very good things about the kit. Dealer i was talking with said from 2009 to 2010 they made some good changes to the machine as far as handleingand climbling goes, not to sure what they were but he was trading his 09 in for '10 or an '11

bathtub28

Reaction score
Ok, now that i have made the choice on sled, 2010 nytro mtx with mtx 240 kit, (going to pick it up tomorrow) is there any thing i should be watching for while getting used to the 4 stroke and the turbo? Belt wear an issue? Plugs? Also is it a good idea to change out the track on a machine like this or will the stocker be quite sufficiant? Am very excited to get it and join the ranks of 4 stroke turbos! Even more excited to try it in the steep and deep. Had a turbo dragon 800 last year wich rocked so hope to have the at least the same , if not a bigger smile on my face this year!

bathtub28

Reaction score
Sold the poo cause it was a straight race gas only sled and given my location and avalibility to the stuff it was to expensive and inconvinent to burn.I know everyone says if you can afford a turbo you can afford the fuel, but when you put 3000 km a season on that is not the case. nytro is a prem. pump friendly sled wich is a VERY nice feature. also the poo seemed like it ws always being pushed to the limits....was always worried about blowing something! Although i never did....re sale on them is also very poor compaired to the yammi...i spent more on the poo then i will be on the nytro (without including fuel) and can re sell (if the need arises) the nytro alot easier and for more....i could go on but you kinda get the idea...yammi makes sense.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold the poo cause it was a straight race gas only sled and given my location and avalibility to the stuff it was to expensive and inconvinent to burn.I know everyone says if you can afford a turbo you can afford the fuel, but when you put 3000 km a season on that is not the case. nytro is a prem. pump friendly sled wich is a VERY nice feature. also the poo seemed like it ws always being pushed to the limits....was always worried about blowing something! Although i never did....re sale on them is also very poor compaired to the yammi...i spent more on the poo then i will be on the nytro (without including fuel) and can re sell (if the need arises) the nytro alot easier and for more....i could go on but you kinda get the idea...yammi makes sense.

Sounds valid, thats exactly why I ride a T-Nytro for last few seasons, asking because buddy sold his T-Apex and is turboing a 700poo this year. Hope I dont use my rope every ride

bathtub28

Reaction score
Ok.....got my nytro home and have been puttsin around the dealership talkin sleds when the topic of avid drivers and HyFax cam up, Is it really worth the money to get these items or are they just trying to get me to spend a few hundred dollars on a better but not nessasary product..... also ,off topic, does anyone know the shelf life of c12 race fuel....would it still b good from last season in a jerry can in a shop just to burn a gallon or so mixed in with the pre i will be running? hate to see it go to waste.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase. You have made a choice based on real facts you found out yourself. There are lots of haters on the subject but it seems you don't listen to them.

On the sled. The stock drivers will last if you mangage them properly. Heat and too loose of a track will be the issue. Use your scratchers and keep the track tight. Monitor the first while. Eventually you may want to put on the Avids.....they really are the best drivers on the market.
Similar situation on the Hifax. Some can manage the heat and get away with them for 1,000's of K while others can smoke them off right away.......search for fresh and use the scratchers and you will be fine.
C12.....i have used last years fuel each year without issues. I also run an Apex @ 50/50 and haven't had an issue.
Clutches/Belts........no issue.....if you blow a belt there is something wrong. Like I tell most I speak with...if you blow a belt I'd likely replace it out of my own pocket......Yamy belts are under $100 unlike the others ;)

Safe sledding and enjoy your ride :)
RS

bathtub28

Reaction score
Thanxs , thats pretty much the reply i was lookin for , very helpful. Cant wait for the snow to fly. Will be running the stock parts till I see significant wear or till I have put many many trouble free kms on, wich ever comes first.

bathtub28

Reaction score
ok, so, with the new nytro in early testing and warmer weather was getting 15 lbs so turned it down to recomended 12, rode today in colder weather was only gettin 10, is this common or normal, i will try again in the morning and see, but should i be expecting to turn it back up....?

bathtub28

Reaction score
rode both times in the prairies.....mcx 240 kit installed at the yammie dealer .....he said they were pretty good about shipping already set proper. so not sure if it was running high for some wierd reason the first day and i turned it down when i shouldnt have or if it was running low today for some reason...both at same alt...can the bov freez and not perfome properly or should the heat under there keep that from being an issue?

muffin

Reaction score
Good choice , it some times takes a while to sort it out , but i found some of the issuses went away once i got used to a turboed apex, you know , the squeeks and rattles so to speak, tons of guys out there with great input , specially Climbmax , RS. MN on here is another good one to ask both helped a ton Thanks:)

Top Bottom