Mortgage Rates

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Signed a 4 year fixed @6.3 on our rental condo to pay it off… I think it was close to that when we bought it in 2006? Rode it down to 1% and now right back up where we started in a short 20 years

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jacking up interest rates is a band aid fix IMO. Seems to be affecting people who already own homes more than anyone. Prices haven't gone done and renewals are hitting like Drew mentioned above.

I was reading an article saying that a target for the median house cost in a given location would be 2.6ish times the household income.
18% interest on something proportionality priced is better than 7% on something that is inflated on a bubble.
I have an couple years left on my current rate, but i don't know if rates will go up anymore at this point so if I was renewing atm I'd be looking at variable options I think.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm locked in until this time in 2025, I'm really hoping we start to see the interest rates start to go the other way, alternatively, I'm just going to keep socking money away and lump sump the principal before renewal if I have to.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm locked in until this time in 2025, I'm really hoping we start to see the interest rates start to go the other way, alternatively, I'm just going to keep socking money away and lump sump the principal before renewal if I have to.
You are better off making regular small payments now rather than waiting. Especially if your lump sum payment exceeds your max overpayment allowed. The max lump sum payment in our banking system should be made illegal, just like a car loan.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
You are better off making regular small payments now rather than waiting. Especially if your lump sum payment exceeds your max overpayment allowed. The max lump sum payment in our banking system should be made illegal, just like a car loan.
I'll probably do annuals at "bonus time" at work over the next couple of years, that's in March.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I still had a mortgage I made pretty small extra biweekly payments from day 1. 25 year mortgage was finished on year 17.
Same here….
Paid mine off in 14yrs.
My investments over this time period sure didn’t outperform the rise in property values…
Sitting mortgage free right now sure feels good 😊

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I had a mortgage all my overtime (which I did lots of) went to making extra payments. Certainly helped to pay it off

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
It's an American example where you can get 30 yr amortizations and lock in a rate for the whole amortization period.
So if you lock in today then everything turns to crap and rates drop drastically. the only option is to leave your keys and walk away.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_20231006_145124_797.jpg
    IMG_20231006_145124_797.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 108

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive heard they have 100 year mortgages in Europe. Imagine trying to buy a house in London or Paris.

Alberta is still pretty cheap. Lots of good buys...

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if you lock in today then everything turns to crap and rates drop drastically. the only option is to leave your keys and walk away.
No you can re-sign the mortgage rate at lower rates at any time if they drop. Mortgage interest is also deductible for income tax purposes. They have a fantastic system there.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least London or Paris are London or Paris not fawkin Surrey or Brampton

I like surrey. Parts of it any ways. But not cheap. Im thinking london or paris are probably more. But i havent priced them out

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like surrey. Parts of it any ways. But not cheap. Im thinking london or paris are probably more. But i havent priced them out

Paris is pretty expensive. London is only a bit more than Toronto.

But the definition of a house over there is different than ours, generally a lot smaller.

Top Bottom