Melted Oil Tank Threads

kentz

Reaction score
Anyone ever melted the male threads on the oil tank? After Saturday's ride, pulled the cap off Sunday morning to fill up the tank and found the threads on the tank facing the pipe had melted! The cap is fine, must be harder plastic than the tank is. The heat shield of course doesn't go high enough to block the cap.

Has this happened to anyone else before?
I guess I have to fab up a heat shield extension to block the cap as well.

09 M8.

RichardL

Reaction score
Happened on my 07 this Saturday also bubbled on the one side and now has a hole in it. Too much heat under the hood I guess. Should have kept cleaning the snow off more often.

tcheck

Reaction score
I know on the 2011 sleds they put a new tank in that can withstand higher temps, on my 2010 M8 my tank warped so they are gonna replace it with the new tank.

kentz

Reaction score
I just looked at the schematics for a 09 and a 10 and they changed the heat shield that is attached to the underside of the hood. In 10 and probably 11 the heat shield wraps around the oil tank filler cap and neck when the hood is closed to give it some more protection. In 09 this isn't there. Part number for the 10 heat shield is 6606-221. I guess I will have to replaced the tank and then put a 10 heat shield in.

Anyone replaced the oil tank in a 09 before? Is it a royal cluster to get out or pretty straight forward?

Thanks.

Shortcut

Reaction score
Yup seeing the same issue, wrapped the cap and tank in foil tape to displace heat, seems to work

Top Bottom