Make my Renegade like the Mountains

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a quick disconnect kit for the sway bar

I have only seen quick disconnects for the XP models. The Renegade has the solid sway bar that curves 90 degrees at the end and goes into a plastic connector.

Trevorn

Reaction score
I've got an 05 renegade 800 136" 1.75. This past fall I put 144 rails and 144x2 track under it. That made a world of difference! Mine did ratchet a bit with the longer/heavier track that gets more traction. Just need summit A-arms to narrow it up and a set of pilot 6.9 skis. If only I hadn't smacked a rock with the left ski and twisted the bulkhead and front end. Anybody got an 04-07 rolling summit chassis that I could throw my motor in??? Enjoy the sled Marley, last year was my first season with a sled and the only place I ride is in the mountains. It was a steep learning curve but I wouldn't trade any of it!

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After 2 days riding at Fernie I can now report back on the mods. For the record.

So far I have done: 144x2" track, 144 Summit X skid, Pilot 6.9 skis, 3.5" handlebar riser, disconnected sway bar (not totally removed yet), set all shocks/springs at close to lowest preload (to be easier to lean over in powder). I have not done anything to the gearing and clutch yet but I will probably gear it down a bit and set the clutch to come in a bit sooner (don't know how to do the clutch yet but hopefully it is an easy mod).

All the mods seem to have partially done what was intended. The Renegade was able to go anywhere the 4 Arctic Cat M8's and the Yamaha Nytro MTX I was riding with could go. Disclaimer - I did not try the straight up the bank and wheelie thing that the teenagers were doing. The key word in that statement was "go" - I didn't use "do" for a very big reason: my abilities suck or probably more honestly I'm still a bit of a chicken only having 3 rides under my belt.

Hill climbing was good. According to the GPS app the steepest was 26 degrees, and the snow was deep. Side-hilling was fine as long as I had speed up but there is still a problem of getting the Renegade, with it's wider ski stance, to easily lean over and carve in powder. Some of that problem may be rider related too. Turning at all in powder, except for uphill climbs, was laborious - feels like I'm fighting the machine (or it's fighting me).

I think I will do the gearing and clutch thing and leave it at that. Unless there is a cheap and easy way to narrow the ski stance. This sled will probably end up being my son's sled next year (and/or a loaner for friends to come on rides). No more money needs to go into it.

So far I have enjoyed the experience, except for the 13km whooped-out trail to Wranglers Cabin, and since we have a place down just west of Fernie sledding seems to fit well into our lifestyle. Winter/sled, spring/dirtbike, summer/boating, fall/dirtbiking and try to fit some work in between al that. If all goes well to the end of the season then I will probably be looking to buy a 2010/2011 Summit for next year.

Thanks to everyone that helped with information on this and other threads!

Top Bottom