M8 wrench ad ecu codes?

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M8 wrench and ecu code help

So today I went for a little rip around and all is running good but when I looked down at me gauge I was surprized to find a flashing wrench and the thing was flashing ecu but in my panic I turned it off before I could remember the number...I'm thing it was 17 or 21. Fired sled back up and no codes and runs great. Should I be concernd or just ride it and see if I pulls the codes again? I recently installed slp pipe kit. Any knoladge would be appreciated also heading to mcbride on the 27!!

Last edited:

Kermit

Reaction score
17 would be pipe sensor, 21 is knock code. Is there old gas in it? That might cause 21. Chances are codes will come back. Check wiring for both, if not cracked/worn through try cleaning connections up and use a little dielectric grease. If wiring is fine, no other symptoms appear and cleaning connections doesn't work might be faulty sensor, they go from time to time.

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gas is fresh and (94 Octane)and my connections look fine I guess I'll unplug em and clean and grease them. Sled has 1000 miles and this is the first time for throwing codes. I've heard about people using a gmc sensor Does it work for a cheaper option?

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My M1000 throws the 1-7 code. Does it once a year and it either goes away, or unlug pipe sensor and fire machine up than plug it in.

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I checked resistance on the probe/sensor and its got 2 omhs so that seems to check out and looked at other connections and it all looks fine. Ill take it for another longer ride tomorrow and see if it does it again but I'm thinking....hopping it won't.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I checked resistance on the probe/sensor and its got 2 omhs so that seems to check out and looked at other connections and it all looks fine. Ill take it for another longer ride tomorrow and see if it does it again but I'm thinking....hopping it won't.

2 ohms seems a little low. The delete kit resistor is 430 ohms.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy crap 430 maybe the sensor is going! Why so high?

That's about what the stock one is supposed to read at operating temp, so that's what they use to delete it. There was a chart on here somewhere that lists the different resistance values at various pipe temps, but I don't remember seeing a value as low as yours.

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found that chart you speak of and when I checked resistance my sled ha been sitting in a cold gradge for a few hours and the pipe was cold so I'm thinking that's why it read 200. So if I unplug the sensor and fire it up and let it warm up I should have a high reading correct? And if I start it unplugged would it go into limp mode or what? Thx for the help

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found that chart you speak of and when I checked resistance my sled ha been sitting in a cold gradge for a few hours and the pipe was cold so I'm thinking that's why it read 200. So if I unplug the sensor and fire it up and let it warm up I should have a high reading correct? And if I start it unplugged would it go into limp mode or what? Thx for the help

Your first post said "2 ohms". Big difference between that and 200! 200 ohms cold is probably fine.

Run it without the sensor connected and it should go full rich and run like a pig.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had the 21 code for knock sensor come on a couple times but it has only been when the sled has gotten fairly warm. After cooling it off and starting it up again it has gone out.

catlove7

Reaction score
Re: M8 wrench and ecu code help

The best thing to do imo is phone artic edge Brent linderman he builds a resistor and deletes the pipe sensor it costs 20 dollars and take five minutes to install he is great to deal with.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gas is fresh and (94 Octane)and my connections look fine I guess I'll unplug em and clean and grease them. Sled has 1000 miles and this is the first time for throwing codes. I've heard about people using a gmc sensor Does it work for a cheaper option?

If your motor is stock you should run 87 octane and that is what is recommended in these sleds. DO NOT run 94 unless its needed for the SLP pipe, it won't help you and is probably not helping your issue (if any).

Kermit

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with higher octane, is more resistant to detonation which is a good thing. Personally I won't run Mohawk fuel due to ethanol content. Lots of debate over impact to 2 stroke motors however ethanol likes water more than gas and a little snow in the tank upon fuelling drops octane rating fast.

m8welder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old sled was a 2009 m8 and I ran the slp y pipe and pipe and I had the exact problem as you. The exhaust temp sensors burn up pretty quick cause the pipe runs way hotter than the stock one. You can run it with the sensor burnt out but the sled idles higher and usually takes longer to idle down. Those sensors from cat are 100-120$. Rip off! I would go with that sensor delete kit. Honestly I think that slp stuff is junk any ways and my sled ran better with the stock exhaust.

Top Bottom