Looking to ride

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I've never been to Crowsnet Pass or mountain sledding, and I'm looking to come down next weekend with a few people. I'm coming from Central Alberta and was wondering where a good place to stage and hit some trails. Any good places on Alberta side with good trails and opportunty to play a bit in some poweder? I'm just looking to get my feet wet and looking for safe areas to ride. I was looking at going to Cataract, but all the pics I've seen look like the trails are a little too well used for my liking. Thanks

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
Here is a link to the website for the Northside: if you can print it out (pdf document), bring it with. Look at the turnoff from Hwy#3 up to the Atlas staging area. That is best place to stage a ride on the Northside. The trail-map shows the main trails in the area. None of the trails are considered difficult so no worries in that regard. As you travel along the trails, you will see areas where others have ventured into the powder. Explore and have fun.

PS: there is usually some folks at the staging area you could ask questions and get some answers to good areas or trails to try.

You can also check out the website for the Google Earth scenario of the trails. It gives you a good idea of the lay-of-the-land for the area: . 32 (1).png

If you do not already have an ASA Season's Trail Pass, you can purchase Daily Trail Passes here: , the webstore also sells Season's Passes if desired.

Last edited:

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Is the Atlas area a place where you would recomend bringing avy gear, even in the areas where you can venture off a bit?

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suggest avy gear everywhere you ride. Other than ditches in sask. lol better be safe than sorry. Cheers.

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
Thanks for the info. Is the Atlas area a place where you would recomend bringing avy gear, even in the areas where you can venture off a bit?

Do you absolutely need it; no. Should you have it?; yes. Main reason to have it is in case someone else runs into a problem and you are the only nearby folks to give assistance. If you stay away from any slopes that are hazardous you are ok and can get a feel for the place. If you like the area and decide it will become a regular stop for you, then avy gear is a good investment. When I first started, I purchased items one at a time as I could afford it; beacon, probe then shovel. Now I have two shovels; one for the sled and one in my backpack. Don't let the prices intimidate you. But do buy the beacon first; Peips Freeride is modestly priced and easy enough to be a first purchase.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would totally disagree. There are many days you have no idea what is above you cause its too socked in too see. If you wear a seatbelt when you drive you should have all gear to ride in mountains. If you can afford a sled you can afford avy gear. That's my opinion but I don't know anyone that rides without it. You can rent avy packs also that have all necessary gear. You can never be too prepared.

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
I know nothing about the Avalance gear. What does it consit of and what does each peice of equipmnet do?
Does every one on group need it or just certian peices?
If there is a post for this can you point me in the right direction.
I plan on sticking to the main trails for now.
Don

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avy gear is beacon, probe, shovel. I also carry spot beacon. As for what they do... Ummm maybe take avy course. Beacons send signal to other beacons to locate. Probe to find person under snow. Shovel is pretty much a shovel. Lol. Spot beacon is a search and rescue satellite transmitter. Also capable of sending ok msgs to whoever you set up on acct. also will track your day so you can go home and see where exactly you were. I would strongly reccomend one. For the $160 ish to purchase the wife loves getting text when we get back to truck at night. Cheers. And yes. Everyone needs all pieces.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are all compatible and comparable. As for avy training google zacs tracs and find course near you. You can buy gear at most dealers.

Top Bottom