Let's talk clutching for a second...

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a 40/44 or 38/44 or something along those lines. I'm no clutching expert but from what Ive been reading, that sounds like I'd be on a good starting point.

My style of riding is all over the map. I like climbing, boondocking, tree riding. Pretty much everything depending on conditions. So for me to clutch for one specific riding style, wouldn't be any good.

I'm running a set of heavy hitters, base weight of 68g. Have the tips loaded to 75g, and any more weight needed will get dispersed throughout the middle and beginning of the arm via set screws. Is that a good idea?

So what I've tried piecing together so far, is that a secondary spring controls engagement, for dual angle helix's, say 40/44, 40 angle is your initial engagement angle, with less of an angle puts less load on your primary, when the rollers get to the 44 angle, that's about when up shifting occurs, higher the angle, the harder the up shift? So ideally, something like a 38/44 helix would be better? With a lower initial angle it shouldn't engage as hard, making on and off throttle chops a lot better, for tree riding say, but for the 44 angle it makes up shifting harder so you still have that rip your arms off feeling? That sound about right to you guys?

And if I ran a straight cut helix like a 44 or 46, then ideally that would put more strain on my primary, causing belt temps to rise, and we all know what happens then....

but with a lower initial ramp angle, if you go too low, that would make the sled feel lazy out of the hole? So there has to be a sweet spot for helix angles that covers most types of riding. Any input?

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the shockwave adjustable helix. But I don't like the idea of having to adjust it all the time. If you can find a helix that is decent for most of your riding I would stick with it. If thats not good enough or you want that little bit extra fine tuning I would go with the shockwave.

Top Bottom