Let's talk about gravel

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy it buy the foot and its the good stuff. This should be put down prior to any gravel and will keep moisture out.
I second the fabric! I used the cascade stuff on my driveway build in 2006. Then Pit run, then crushed concrete, topped with skim of 3/4. All Packed along the way with pad foot roller. Ive never had a rut, ever! Tandem water truck can come wet spring days without leaving a mark!

Just 3/4 crush turns to soup for years in spring!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess it's important to state too. This gravel will not see traffic. This is going underneath a cabin so that we don't set it right on clay. Then the cabin will be stood off on cinder blocks or some sort of concrete blocks on top of the gravel.

The fabric in this situation may actually cause it to retain water under the cabin which is not what we want.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it's important to state too. This gravel will not see traffic. This is going underneath a cabin so that we don't set it right on clay. Then the cabin will be stood off on cinder blocks or some sort of concrete blocks on top of the gravel.

The fabric in this situation may actually cause it to retain water under the cabin which is not what we want.
geotextile is designed to allow the water to seep through. But yes, if your using it in an application with no traffic I doubt you need it. I do wonder about putting your footings on top of the gravel, I hope your doing some sort of compaction?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
geotextile is designed to allow the water to seep through. But yes, if your using it in an application with no traffic I doubt you need it. I do wonder about putting your footings on top of the gravel, I hope your doing some sort of compaction?
Yup. Will be doing some compaction as well.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya you don't need geogrid then. You definitely want to make sure it's compacted well, have you considered washed rock/radon rock instead? You don't need to worry about compaction and the water will drain through it better then road crush.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Ya you don't need geogrid then. You definitely want to make sure it's compacted well, have you considered washed rock/radon rock instead? You don't need to worry about compaction and the water will drain through it better then road crush.
remote location will use whatever the local hauler can get.......

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If he has it sloped correctly and high enough, there shouldn’t be any water under his cabin.
Stompin Tom hit the nail on the head with the comment about compaction. Clay can be a problem with movement but that can be circumvented with proper drainage and getting the water away from the cabin (proper down spouts on the eave trough). I’m a fan of concrete footings and if cinder blocks are used they need to be solid with rebar and concrete. If the base is weak, the structure will be moving and doors and windows will be affected.

97summit

Reaction score
Check with the county that you are in and they will let you know what you have to do. In Lac St Anne it has to have a grade (2% I believe) then gravel and then polly on top of that. Also has to be on screw piles. Different countys, different soils = different rules.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Check with the county that you are in and they will let you know what you have to do. In Lac St Anne it has to have a grade (2% I believe) then gravel and then polly on top of that. Also has to be on screw piles. Different countys, different soils = different rules.
skid shack :)

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By the time us Snow and Mud experts get done with you, it will be a 2200 square foot, 4 bedroom, 3 bath "country home"
Yep, $15 k in engineering to find out you were right in the first place. Don’t go down that path. Skid shack it is. Love it.!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Tyler, I have been using recycled concrete for the last few years. Makes a great base, reasonably priced and when driven on. I like how it knits together. But for going under your cabin, cheaper is better and the recycled concrete works great

Top Bottom