Lake Docks

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've decided to look for a new dock for the lake for next year. I'm asking this now as there are some deals to be had on buying something now.

We are looking for a roll out dock system, aluminum, composite/aluminum topped dock system. Needs to be approx 70' long and will only sit in about 40in of water on the deep end.

Does anyone have any experiences or pointers they can share on what to look out for?

Some build channel frames, while others are truss based systems - anyone find a difference?

Any advice on what works for leg adjust ability and what doesn't?

Thanks in advance!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I use an amphi-dock

https://www.facebook.com/amphidock/

Mine is the old style with the adjustable wheel rollers which have proven to be a pain in the azz. This spring we had to pull all the aluminum brackets off and reattach them with carriage bolts through the deck, originally they were just held on with 1 1/2" lag bolts. This caused issues when the wheel brackets came out of adjustment and put lateral strain on the barrels and brackets causing them to pull the lag bolts out. So we put about 20 hours into it this spring reinforcing the brackets and re-adjusting the rollers. This was after 6 years of use so I suppose it's not terrible. I also had to replace 6 of the composite augers on the posts. It seems they have a 6-7 year lifespan before becoming brittle. I will likely have to change the rest next year if we keep it.

The new system has a single axle through the centre of the barrel, less moving parts and it eliminates the possibility of the barrels binding and pulling the brackets off. Also now they have it available in aluminum and composite which is nice. The best part about this system is there is no need to get wet. Dock rolls in like a trailer and then you set the auger poles and attach it using scaffold clamps, it's technically a floating dock but it does not feel like a floating dock when your on it, it's very stable. The local distributer is kind of a cowboy and can difficult to get hold of but all in all it's a great system. We've been talking about selling our current set-up and upgrading to the new system. Our 50' cost us about $5500 so about $110 per foot all in.
Amphidoc.jpg Amphidoc2.jpg Amphidoc3.jpg

snobyrd

Reaction score
I build very high end alum docks, check out my website , www.eaglebaydocks.ca
I build the most compleate docks on the market, every other dock made will cause damage to your boat or jetski due to thier design. They perform great in storms or boat traffic, very strong, has wheels on them to pull out in the fall, best composite decking that money can buy.
Call me if you like at 250 242 7098.
Tks
Jeff

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I already have a pretty good idea, but just for reference purposes what would the cost of that featured dock pictured with the 27' boat on it and the access ramp (without railing) be worth.

I know you get what you pay for and you dock system is awesome and is likely to last for 30+ years before needing to be refitted. But I'm guessing that set up is worth as much as, if not more, than my boat.

I build very high end alum docks, check out my website , www.eaglebaydocks.ca
I build the most compleate docks on the market, every other dock made will cause damage to your boat or jetski due to thier design. They perform great in storms or boat traffic, very strong, has wheels on them to pull out in the fall, best composite decking that money can buy.
Call me if you like at 250 242 7098.
Tks
Jeff

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check to see if you can get a permit for where you want it to go. The laws have changed for this year and many people will lose their access. It would stink to spend good money and then have the carpet yanked out from under your feet.

Trev

Reaction score
Have a look at marine master in Saskatoon. It’s well built and good accessories.
I’ve seen their product in provincial parks and it holds up good. I don’t know if they offer composite decking tho but could build your own. That’s likely what I will do for hen the cedar is done. The adjustment on the legs work good but mine doesn’t need constant adjustments mine is 32 by 5 wide with a 10 by 8 deck at the end with the rolling axle and real easy in and out.i am not sure if truss or non truss is better but the non truss doesn’t catch the weeds. I think they are at the spring show normally and if you want accessories get them than or you may have to wait until they build more. Hope this helps.

snobyrd

Reaction score
That one pictured on my home page is 25gs 31x12 with a 20 foot ramp, a 12x24 dock is 19250.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use an amphi-dock

https://www.facebook.com/amphidock/

Mine is the old style with the adjustable wheel rollers which have proven to be a pain in the azz. This spring we had to pull all the aluminum brackets off and reattach them with carriage bolts through the deck, originally they were just held on with 1 1/2" lag bolts. This caused issues when the wheel brackets came out of adjustment and put lateral strain on the barrels and brackets causing them to pull the lag bolts out. So we put about 20 hours into it this spring reinforcing the brackets and re-adjusting the rollers. This was after 6 years of use so I suppose it's not terrible. I also had to replace 6 of the composite augers on the posts. It seems they have a 6-7 year lifespan before becoming brittle. I will likely have to change the rest next year if we keep it.

The new system has a single axle through the centre of the barrel, less moving parts and it eliminates the possibility of the barrels binding and pulling the brackets off. Also now they have it available in aluminum and composite which is nice. The best part about this system is there is no need to get wet. Dock rolls in like a trailer and then you set the auger poles and attach it using scaffold clamps, it's technically a floating dock but it does not feel like a floating dock when your on it, it's very stable. The local distributer is kind of a cowboy and can difficult to get hold of but all in all it's a great system. We've been talking about selling our current set-up and upgrading to the new system. Our 50' cost us about $5500 so about $110 per foot all in.
View attachment 228209View attachment 228210View attachment 228211

That's a pretty neat idea - thanks for sharing, haven't seen these before

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out hold on industry they make plastic floating work great and super easy to use //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200901/9ac688de8425726022fd143d91504f38.jpg

I still have 2 sections of a Hold On sitting behind the cabin that we bought a number of years ago. Great, no maintenance docks, but out lake is shallow enough that with how bouyant they are, they didn't work well for us. I connect both sections together and use them for a floating dock for the kids to jump on/off of now

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a look at marine master in Saskatoon. It’s well built and good accessories.
I’ve seen their product in provincial parks and it holds up good. I don’t know if they offer composite decking tho but could build your own. That’s likely what I will do for hen the cedar is done. The adjustment on the legs work good but mine doesn’t need constant adjustments mine is 32 by 5 wide with a 10 by 8 deck at the end with the rolling axle and real easy in and out.i am not sure if truss or non truss is better but the non truss doesn’t catch the weeds. I think they are at the spring show normally and if you want accessories get them than or you may have to wait until they build more. Hope this helps.

I'll give them a try - I've done some local tours of builders already might have to take a trip to Saskatoon and take a look.

For reference, most system I've been looking at (4'w, aluminum framed) seem to average in that $110-120/ft. Looking more at composite decking - handful of options to try and choose from

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mtnmanoutdoors outta regina!!
He just started making decks, builds ice fushing shacks. Latne meier. They own daveys plastics in regina too. Tell him kev grom alberta recommended ya !!

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
I still have 2 sections of a Hold On sitting behind the cabin that we bought a number of years ago. Great, no maintenance docks, but out lake is shallow enough that with how bouyant they are, they didn't work well for us. I connect both sections together and use them for a floating dock for the kids to jump on/off of now

Hmm maybe want to sell

Top Bottom