SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
June 23, 2022 by Adam Malik

Is the rise over for used car prices?​

Used-car-for-sale-Depositphotos_26498667_L-1024x691.jpg

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
For the moment, it appears used vehicle prices have hit their peak and just might be receding.

After a decrease in Canadian Black Book’s Used Vehicle Retention Index for April, May’s index shows a flattening of the curve.

The index hit a high of 165 points in March — meaning vehicles are 65 per cent higher than the baseline set by Canada Black Book. In April, that number dropped to 162.5 points and remained the same in May. That ended a streak of monthly increased values since August 2021.

Still, used vehicle values were almost 32 per cent higher in May 2022 compared to the year before.

“Given wider inflationary trends throughout the economy, skyrocketing gas prices, rising interest rates, any relief in prices is a welcome sign,” said James Hancock, director of OEM strategy and analytics at Canadian Black Book.

However, he added that wholesale prices will remain high into 2023.

“We anticipate 2022 to see a plateau for prices, with a gradual decline over the next couple years, however, prices are expected top remain well above pre-pandemic levels into 2026 and possibly beyond,” he noted.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 months ago was thinking of selling my truck had it listed for 46k had lots of offers of 42, decide to sell now so listed for 42 and lots of offers for 36. So yes a bit of a change

Reactions: RXN

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think it's just getting started
I flip super duties every 10 months since 2016. My current 2022 King Ranch f350 long box I could sell for 100 grand today with 30,000 km on it. Payed 88k. I have another one coming around November. I’ve been tempted to take a chance and dump it now and drive my beater till my next one comes. I have a ton of equity in this truck I would hate to keep it to long and not capitalize. Shitty thing is I need it for Sled season I would hate for it to be late Kinda like a snow check.

Last edited:

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I flip super duties every 10 months since 2016. My current 2022 King Ranch f350 long box I could sell for 100 grand today with 30,000 km on it. Payed 88k. I have another one coming around November. I’ve been tempted to take a chance and dump it now and drive my beater till my next one comes. I have a ton of equity in this truck I would hate to keep it to long and not capitalize. Shitty thing is I need it for Sled season I would hate for it to be late Kinda like a snow check.

Atta boy !
Keep flipping and build you dream truck with that cash IMO.
I bought a 96 12 valve for 6, put about 20k into it, and it is waaay better than any new truck IMO

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
High end stuff will hold as it goes south and still a big enough shortage, i going to start flipping my stuff too

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
High end stuff will hold as it goes south and still a big enough shortage, i going to start flipping my stuff too

doesnt it blow our minds how in 2007 they lost 1,000 a month in value after driving off the lot, now they go up 1,000 a month ?
Waiting for gravity and or North/South poles switch lol

ill never regret putting PPE +2 on my duramax before I even left the dealership in 07 lolol
We are the last great generation

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup thats for sure, should of been on that gravy train sooner, get a few flips on vehicles that cost you minimal or make a few bucks would be nice

Last edited:

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup thats for sure, should of been on that gravy trail sooner, get a few flips on vehicles that cost you minimal or make a few bucks would be nice

ah shoulda woulda coulda. Don't regret anything brother !!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadain dollar is weak against the US dollar right now, so lots of our used stuff will be going south.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gonna see a flood of Audi and BMW lease returns as rising interest rates teach citiots they can't keep using their house as an ATM.

Top Bottom