Inconsistent Reving

Chemical

Reaction score
Hey guys, machine was running a little wierd this weekend. I have a 09 Summit X 154 with the usual mods. Was up in Renshaw this weekend and the sled ran like a top on Friday. Then on Saturday, it started acting a little goofy. It would rev a 8200 rpms on a pull and then I would come back and do the same pull again, and the sled would only rev at 7100-7300. The plugs are good, changed the belt, check the clickers, and even opened the coolant to the carbs, but still no change. Maybe clutching is the issue, broken spring maybe? Any ideas out there?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, machine was running a little wierd this weekend. I have a 09 Summit X 154 with the usual mods. Was up in Renshaw this weekend and the sled ran like a top on Friday. Then on Saturday, it started acting a little goofy. It would rev a 8200 rpms on a pull and then I would come back and do the same pull again, and the sled would only rev at 7100-7300. The plugs are good, changed the belt, check the clickers, and even opened the coolant to the carbs, but still no change. Maybe clutching is the issue, broken spring maybe? Any ideas out there?

I think you may have already answered your own question. I would think it would be the clutching causing this problem. May as well get a DJ kit if it needs rebuilding.

Chemical

Reaction score
Thats what I was kind of hoping. Just wanted to see if anyone else was having the same issue. Crossing the fingers that it wasn't a major issue.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad had the exact same problem on his 07 (which is the same motor) and when he took the clutch apart, the spring was busted, and the pins were wore right out. Put dynamo jo in her and she was a monster again. :d

Snow Bro

Reaction score
I was on a ride last weekend, and an 08 XP 154 had a similar problem, along with a vibration. He had approx. 1500 miles on his sled. If your air intake is clear of snow my guess would be in the clutching. I'm thinking the primary spring governor cup, or O-rings/ buttons are worn out. I'm not sure how many miles you have on your sled.The 09's are apparently better than 08's. I have an 09 154 too, and I was told to update my clutch with the 2010 parts.
Good luck finding the problem.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you say Inconsistent, is your revs all over the place or now it will consistantly run 72/7300rpm. If it stays at 72-7300 yes check you clutching. if your revs are all over the place check your DPM and than your raves.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you let it cool for a bit and hit the hill again, would you get your proper RPM again?

Chemical

Reaction score
Ya, if I stop for a few minutes and hit the hill again, I can hit full revs. But after a few pulls, it goes back down to 72/7300. The reving is consistent and not all over the place.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Home Page

Bottom of the page...."Plug and Play". When the Xp's get hot, the computer retards the timing. Usually its 200 or 300 rpm drop....so you might have some other issues as well. As Caper said, check the RAVES and the DPM.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was on a ride last weekend, and an 08 XP 154 had a similar problem, along with a vibration. He had approx. 1500 miles on his sled. If your air intake is clear of snow my guess would be in the clutching. I'm thinking the primary spring governor cup, or O-rings/ buttons are worn out. I'm not sure how many miles you have on your sled.The 09's are apparently better than 08's. I have an 09 154 too, and I was told to update my clutch with the 2010 parts.
Good luck finding the problem.

check your helix bolts on secondary if you have alot of vibration and belt heat. Once may have broken off... happened to me saturday

Snow Bro

Reaction score
If you let it cool for a bit and hit the hill again, would you get your proper RPM again?

I currently have this problem, but it very sporadic-only after long climbs. I find that the air intakes being covered in pow to be more of a problem with consistent RPM. I do have a vent kit, and extra air intakes too. I'm also having trouble with the right turn bog due to my exhaust can sitting too low in the snow-just need the time to cut it down to size. Nice tip on the exhaust sensor.:beer:

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
XP Heatsoak...when your clutches get hot you will loose rpm. Vent kit and give her a break if your givin er hard! If you run it when your clutches are that hot your are gonna de-lam your belt and it will strip apart!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be engine heatsoak or clutching issue.

everyone says throw a dj kit in it but dont just do this. go through your clutches and make sure everything is in tip top shape before throwing parts at it.

Top Bottom