Impulse Turbo

cookn

Reaction score
Looking for opinions from people that have first or second hand experience with an Impulse Turbo'd Nytro.
Pro's and cons of the Impulse turbo to other turbo manufacturers.
Comments on reliability, maintenance, ease of tuning or any problems with the Impulse turbo system would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
NC

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode a buddies Impluse last year a couple times, lower boost kit 12psi or so throttel response was awesome i'd say they are a good kit. I didnt like the fuel tank under the seat it was like sitting on a brick all day but i'm sure a mountain mod seat would fix that. If you want a proven kit go buy an mcxpress 270, turn key gas and go. I have the powderlites with Neils fuel system I can say its better now but considering how much luck ive had along with riding partners im still partial to MCXpress.:beer:

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run Ulmers stage 2.
Cons-
Trailtanks sucks, plastic fits like shat.
Gets hot behind tank, need turbo blankets
Pros-
Great customer service
PC3 is easy to tune yourself
Looks close to stock

Buddy runs the impulse. I'm really impressed with the finish of the parts. Top notch. This kit has tons of power. The only downside is the tank IMO. If your looking for a front mount then this is the kit to get. If a rear mount, the new MPI kit looks really impressive.

cookn

Reaction score
I was originally leaning towards the MCXpress kit. I have heard lots of positive feedback for MCXpress as to being a proven kit. The only negative postings hear on snow and mud, have been issues with the air intake located at the rear of the snowmobile. I have read about how guys are putting the 90deg elbow in the intake tube and thus raising it higher, however, it then appears that it would be susceptible to damage from a roll-over, or my big feet. I like how the Impulse system uses stock fuel fill location for the air intake. Design wise though, the front mount turbo should have less turbo lag. However, again from my lack of experience, I do not know if there is a considerable lag time difference between the two systems. Both systems run an EFI management program and Impulse claims no user adjustments required. Is it MCXpress’s fuel management programming that make it more reliable and proven?

big_red1a

Reaction score
Buddy runs the impulse. I'm really impressed with the finish of the parts. Top notch. This kit has tons of power. The only downside is the tank IMO. If your looking for a front mount then this is the kit to get. If a rear mount, the new MPI kit looks really impressive.

I prefer the tank under the seat on the impulse system.
-Redistributes the weight to the rear of the sled
-Holds 3 more gal then stock tank (10gal with front surge tank)
-Closes off the tunnel
-Adds storage in the back of the seat
-The assault seat is a little big but very comfortable (does not affect me as I am 6' 4" tall ) opt for the lower seat option

cookn

Reaction score
Thanks everyone with the feedback,
Any issues with reliability, maintenance, tuning or is the Impulse the same as MCXpress - pump and ride?

big_red1a

Reaction score
Oh ya I forgot to mention the downside to the impulse:
1. I have very sore forearms from holding on
2. My shock busings are shot after 350miles from the front end being in the air and slaming down.

Positives:
1.Paul"s customer sevice is second to none
2. Can't wait to hook up his new closed loop wideband that auto corrects the air fuel and rewrites the map

ROBERTSONYAMAHA

Reaction score
If you find time some weekend Neil come down and see me and we can go for a ride on a mcx-270 kit and mcx-180 kit. Icing of the intake is not an issue with the tunnel dump exhaust. you do not need a 90 degree snorkel with a tunnel dump. Impulse is a good kit, and would be my second choice behind mcx. Just can't beat the reliability and ease of use of a MCX kit in my opinion.

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a mcx270 with a tunnel dump and yes in fresh pow, icing is still an issue. :cool:

muffin

Reaction score
There was one at Quartz creek this past weekend on a nytro man it was fast , not sure how much boost he was running but it was way faster than my apex at 15 pounds boost it ran very clean unlike my alpine kit

cookn

Reaction score
thanks again everyone for your feedback.

ddwell

Reaction score
Oh ya I forgot to mention the downside to the impulse:
1. I have very sore forearms from holding on
2. My shock busings are shot after 350miles from the front end being in the air and slaming down.

Positives:
1.Paul"s customer sevice is second to none
2. Can't wait to hook up his new closed loop wideband that auto corrects the air fuel and rewrites the map

My Impulse nytro seems to be over fueling some at the bottom end, is this closed loop and mapping to correct that? It also has a tendancey to foul plugs from time to time when starting it cold and loading and unloading it.

Dale

big_red1a

Reaction score
My Impulse nytro seems to be over fueling some at the bottom end, is this closed loop and mapping to correct that? It also has a tendancey to foul plugs from time to time when starting it cold and loading and unloading it.

Dale

Yes, Paul can now add a wideband A/F option to his ECU that will auto tune the current map and correct the fueling +/-30%. If you have problems starting warm (flooding)hold the throtle wide open to clear the gas while turning the key and do not cycle the key on and off between attempts. Hope this helps!

ddwell

Reaction score
Yes, Paul can now add a wideband A/F option to his ECU that will auto tune the current map and correct the fueling +/-30%. If you have problems starting warm (flooding)hold the throtle wide open to clear the gas while turning the key and do not cycle the key on and off between attempts. Hope this helps!

I talked to Paul today it sounds like my fuel pressure is a lttle high right now, but I'm also going to try the new mapping with wideband a/f set up. It actual starts good warm it just harder starting from cold.

Thanks

Top Bottom