Huge Avy up Ladybird Apr 25/12 on Video

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I caught this big one today up Ladybird, must have been a cornice that dropped and triggered it. Took out some big ass trees too at the bottom so this wasn't your typical slide for that area. Saw lots of last weekends tracks going into the debris at the bottom, lucky it didn't come down when Dan and the crew was filming their climbs!

Sorry for the F-bombs, we were a little excited watching it! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7gzdg-W6X0&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• DSCF6100 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6100 (Medium).JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 812
  • DSCF6103 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6103 (Medium).JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 824
  • DSCF6105 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6105 (Medium).JPG
    151 KB · Views: 815
  • DSCF6106 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6106 (Medium).JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 811
  • DSCF6108 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6108 (Medium).JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 823
  • DSCF6109 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6109 (Medium).JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 818
  • DSCF6110 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6110 (Medium).JPG
    149 KB · Views: 814
  • DSCF6114 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6114 (Medium).JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait for the grief now that some bible thumper saw a beer in the vid lol.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Destiny, God said have a beer save some lives today.:):p

It did save our lives, if we didn't stop for a break we would have been at the bottom of that slide path, that's where the trail normally goes through! When the creek opens up we'll have to find another way around the slide.

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome post fellas, good to see nobody got hit with that slide. Especially when 4 days earlier....

Seen a bit of slide remnants up BaldFace today. Still lots and lots of snow to come down from them mtn tops.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome post fellas, good to see nobody got hit with that slide. Especially when 4 days earlier....

Seen a bit of slide remnants up BaldFace today. Still lots and lots of snow to come down from them mtn tops.

Yah, we stopped at the right time, could have been riding at the bottom of it when it broke loose. Going to have to find a new route when the creek opens up, that debris is right where we used to climb up and go across the base of the old runout zone.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing, give me a bit of a sick stomach knowing I was in the face on sunday... Hey I'm a bible thumper and I don't hate BEER, lol

haa haa! Dan you're far from a Bible thumper.. Big difference from having Strong Faith and being classified as a thumper.

Glad everyone is safe. Thank you so much for posting!

Momma :)

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was huge. I made some warning signs after stopping three times this year in that particular spot to tell people they were sitting in a slide path. Glad you guys were sitting in a safe location!

That slope isn't done sliding either...

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went up for Seafoodfest on Saturday and another slide had come down to the left of this one. Big fracture too, was a natural slab not caused by cornice.
And I got a better look at this slide, wasn't a cornice either like I originally thought, you could still see it up there. This was simply heavy rain saturated snow that came down on it's own.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for that slope to slide all year. We ride up there a ton, but have stayed well away from that side of the bird. Found some different routes into the cabin too. Blew my mind seeing tracks on that face this year. People like to sidehill right accross it.

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw tracks there a few times this season too and shook my head, as from my experience ( which is only a few years ) that area always lets go, can often hear the avys rumbling from the cabin in the spring and sometimes mid winter too. Not a bright move to hang around there as theres oodles of signs of previous avys with debris and tree damage.:nono: Thanks for the signs Powderpilot, dont need any more deaths up there.

Top Bottom