HELP! 09 Dragon, Hard Start, Backfiring, Dies

Persephanie

Reaction score
09 dragon 800 First off i just bought this sled, got a smoking deal on it, 3500 miles, Apparently has all the updates, Has been rebuilt last year, so here we go, Takes about 30-40 pulls to fire it up, idles a lil rough give it gas and backfires then dies, then repeat the steps, pull, gas, backfires, dies, it fouls the plugs. the guy i bought it off told me it needed reeds, but im thinking differnt, could reeds create these symptoms? any help would be greatly appreciate, thanks.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd hope it was a smoking deal if you bought a sled that doesn't run.

Could be reeds if there was literally nothing left of them, but he would have known before idle issues. Other issue could be a blown piston in one cylinder, or both. With it being a dragon, I'd lean towards it being a blown motor.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yikes. That's too bad. Definitely check compression first things first. I'm sure you know the history on those motors.

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bingo suck all the fuel drain the bowls and try again, and only put a couple of $ in of fuel due to the fact those engines have a history of being $%*T

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the plugs? Mine did similar and the plugs were really fouled. Changed them and it was all good after that.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No carbs or bowls on this sled. EFI
Check the plug wires and caps too. Intermittent spark?
And maybe check the exhaust valve bellows for rips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It still has throttle bodies I think that's what vjc was talking about. Sorry to here about your new sled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
09 dragon 800 First off i just bought this sled, got a smoking deal on it, 3500 miles, Apparently has all the updates, Has been rebuilt last year, so here we go, Takes about 30-40 pulls to fire it up, idles a lil rough give it gas and backfires then dies, then repeat the steps, pull, gas, backfires, dies, it fouls the plugs. the guy i bought it off told me it needed reeds, but im thinking differnt, could reeds create these symptoms? any help would be greatly appreciate, thanks.

....about 50 things could create these symptoms. You need to start diagnosing things and not guessing, otherwise you will be throwing money away. Did you run the sled before you bought it? If not, you just bought all of someones problems so I hope you didn't may more than what is going to cost you to fix it. The timing could be out, the reeds could be bad, fuel pump could go toast, etc etc. If the motor was just "rebuilt", then the internals, in theory, should be fine. Was the motor professionally done or was this a "home job"? If it was done by a certified/qualified mechanic, does the seller have receipts? I would seriously have questioned why the engine was "rebuilt" but the reeds were not replaced. All that work and didn't spend another $90? I would be double checking by looking at the pistons and cylinders that you got a rebuild. If its fouling the plugs then its getting too much fuel or too much oil, or both, or the plugs are the wrong heat range. So it could be the reeds if its getting too much gas. Was the oil system bled properly after the rebuild and was the oil pump set properly? Should at least run if it was an oil problem, it would smoke a lot though.

First off - Do a compression test. In all honesty, you are supposed to do one hot but if its taking you 30-40 pulls to get it started then I would just do it cold, its going to tell you whether or not its in the ballpark. Tell us what the numbers are.

Get an inspection cam, and look down the plugs and up the y pipe into the cylinders. As others have mentioned, check all easy things like changing fuel and plugs first, try to get it to the point where it will start in a few pulls at least (like maybe 10...).

Persephanie

Reaction score
ok guys goin up to my sled tommorow ill try all these things mentioned and check compression, hopfully its not A blown motor, ill let you guys now tommorow, thanks for the tipz!!!

spp69

Reaction score
Ive run across this before and sounds familier. On two of these engines both times it was the stator. There is a large hole in the bottom of the case and quite often the magnets on the flywheel suck up anything metalic up off of the bottom and then shorts out the coils. Also before you get into that make sure your throttle overide switch is working and adjusted correctly. Otherwise it will have intermittent spark.

Top Bottom