Heavy duty mechanic vs millwright

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just my experience, but i would rather a crew truck than a millwrong any day. Annoying idiots most of them, they have enough knowledge to make something simple into a F!ck up. Not enough to do a job, or run a job, just enough to slow one down.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all the same crap. If the MW or HD is a good tech. they can figure it out and make it work.
I wouldn't expect to pull a good HD guy of a buncher and make him a compressor dry gas seal expert overnight any more than I would expect to take a guy who's done nothing but centrifugals all his life to fix the buncher. I would expect if they are talented to be able to pick either one up with some training and hands on experience though.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a LD mechanic and love it. I have been in the trade for 36 years. I have learned all I can and I have not stopped learning. It is all mechanics, Learn as much as you can and enjoy it or don't do it. As a LD mechanic in the right place you will do well in the money dept.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all the same crap. If the MW or HD is a good tech. they can figure it out and make it work.
I wouldn't expect to pull a good HD guy of a buncher and make him a compressor dry gas seal expert overnight any more than I would expect to take a guy who's done nothing but centrifugals all his life to fix the buncher. I would expect if they are talented to be able to pick either one up with some training and hands on experience though.

I went from trucks, to dozers, to gas compression. 15 years. No outfit worth a Sh!t will hire a millwright to fix anything that they are on the hook for. Millwrights fix pumps and change hoses , belts, under supervision. I couldn't even imagine a millwrong servicing a 3600 series Cat when its a 100 grand a hole!!!!! Do you have a guy there that has an idea how to set valves? Or a guy that KNOWS how to set a top end?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from trucks, to dozers, to gas compression. 15 years. No outfit worth a Sh!t will hire a millwright to fix anything that they are on the hook for. Millwrights fix pumps and change hoses , belts, under supervision. I couldn't even imagine a millwrong servicing a 3600 series Cat when its a 100 grand a hole!!!!! Do you have a guy there that has an idea how to set valves? Or a guy that KNOWS how to set a top end?

I don't get your attitude! It doesn't matter what trade discipline you have, as long as the mech has a good mech ability, troubleshooting skills and is willing to learn. But most importantly there have to be guys willing to teach as well.
Lol I've serviced a 3606, AT's, MEP's, while I was running around in a service truck, for a local compression company. Valves are not hard to set. I did a o/h on a v-8 wauk 8 years ago and after I got offered a position as an employee for the company I'm currently with and the same company I did the O/H for. That company was petro-Canada, now it's Suncor energy. and have my own fully tooled company service truck, but I guess in your mind they are crappy company's. I don't know where you worked with MWs to get such a biased opinion on all of them.
I pity the apprentices that have to work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Holy crap, it's like a friggen Millwright stole your lollipop when you were a kid.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So crew truck boys should do this?? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351268411.327115.jpg

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your comments on millwrights must be based on all the union millwrights you folks breed over there in BC... As a millwright myself I have work with a few BC millwrights that make me wonder how they got a ticket, and Lazy!!!

Now before everyone pokes my eyes out, I'm not painting all BC millwrights with the same brush. I'm simply trying to see it for Polarblu's viewpoint of why he could possibly hate millwrights so much...

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both of my sons are millwrights. In my opinion, there is way more opportunity than HD mechanics. I'm not talking number of jobs, but variety of jobs. They have millwrights at the U of A Hospital, ANY manufacturing facility, (sawmills, pulp mills,auto plants,chemical plants ) ski resorts, ships, the list goes on and on.
Nothing wrong with getting both tickets though, actually you cant go wrong with any trade now, there is so much opportunity and grant money floating around.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your comments on millwrights must be based on all the union millwrights you folks breed over there in BC... As a millwright myself I have work with a few BC millwrights that make me wonder how they got a ticket, and Lazy!!!

Now before everyone pokes my eyes out, I'm not painting all BC millwrights with the same brush. I'm simply trying to see it for Polarblu's viewpoint of why he could possibly hate millwrights so much...
This had crossed my mind but I didn't want to bring it up.

Last edited:

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think maybe his wife ran off with a millwright.

Dynamic

Reaction score
I Just finished 3rd year millwright and so far I'm loving it. Very diverse job with opportunities everywhere. I think the only thing that can be a pain is just the amount of stuff we have to deal with. Our trade covers so much stuff that probably half of it I don't even use in the field. On the other hand I guess that is why a millwright is in demand. A millwright that say works at a lumber mill has a completely different skill set than say one who installs machinery at new plants. It sure is indicitive of the trade at school when some of the students haven't even touched a compressor get help from the students that work exclusively on rebuilds and vise versa when we went to the hydraulics lab and the compressor experts had no idea. That's just the way this trade is.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter which of these two trades you choose, if you're smart, mechanically-inclined, and hard working, you will have a prosperous career and rarely (if ever) be out of work. Generally speaking, the HD mechanic route is going to be harder on your body. As far as one group being smarter or more skilled than the other, I can honestly say I've worked with journeymen in both trades who have had brilliant minds and amazing skills. I've also worked with others whom I wouldn't trust to hook up a garden hose. It's all about the individual, not the trade they've chosen.

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!

craptabulous

Reaction score
personally i vote for hd mechanic , but im biased since i am one . were i work the mill is just to stinky, the millwrights still seem to have a good time though .

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My light duty and HD mechanic tickets have provided me with a good income for over 30 years, but, for me, if I could go back and do it all again, I would work at getting my electrician and instrumentation mechanic tickets. The work I've always enjoyed most is more in line with those two trades. Like the saying goes, "Hindsight is 20/20".

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!

smorin71

Reaction score
Very new to forums. After being an aircraft mechanic for the last 15 years I find I'm kicking myself for not initially becoming a Millwright when I was working in a Gold Mine. The Millwrights there encouraged me to get into it. But the gold mine didn't do any apprenticeships anymore. So I became an aircraft mechanic instead...stupid stupid stupid!!!
I've been aggressively firing my resume to everyone millwright related. I googled "Millwrights Edmonton" and started applying with a generic cover letter stating my desire to switch careers.
Im getting no sincere interest. Seems to be impossible to get in as an apprentice. I know once I get my foot in the door I could have a Prior Learning Assessment done with the apprenticeship board or Trade Secret. I'm gonna assume they'll credit me with 2 years given my training and experience.
Does anyone know who might be hiring for Millwright apprentices? I'm in Edmonton and I'm not opposed to working in Fort Mac.
I appreciate any advice guys have.
Thanks!!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very new to forums. After being an aircraft mechanic for the last 15 years I find I'm kicking myself for not initially becoming a Millwright when I was working in a Gold Mine. The Millwrights there encouraged me to get into it. But the gold mine didn't do any apprenticeships anymore. So I became an aircraft mechanic instead...stupid stupid stupid!!!
I've been aggressively firing my resume to everyone millwright related. I googled "Millwrights Edmonton" and started applying with a generic cover letter stating my desire to switch careers.
Im getting no sincere interest. Seems to be impossible to get in as an apprentice. I know once I get my foot in the door I could have a Prior Learning Assessment done with the apprenticeship board or Trade Secret. I'm gonna assume they'll credit me with 2 years given my training and experience.
Does anyone know who might be hiring for Millwright apprentices? I'm in Edmonton and I'm not opposed to working in Fort Mac.
I appreciate any advice guys have.
Thanks!!!

Are you a registered millwright apprentice yet?? Bidell compression in Edson is looking for hd and millwright apprentices, they may be able to help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hd,commercial, and auto tech tickets are considered higher than mill wrongs. Get the good ticket and if you want to millwright then giver. It dosnt work the other way unless your darn talented. Natural gas guys come from that trade cause 90 percent of the work is super easy, all specialty tools supplied, and it's mostly services. Used oil dumps directly in the floor sump, new oil is in a warm barrel with an air pump in it, change plugs set valves, shoot temps and make it last all day......... Gravy

Top Bottom