GREAT Klim Warranty

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You said, "Klim won't stand behind their product".......well I have had great success with them standing behind my Klim gear. Three different jackets and 7 pairs of bibs (all failing the water test) and no questions asked. Fill out the paper work properly, gear not beat to chit, and it goes smooth. I will say it was a better process with DCI in McGrath, Spirit West in Calgary, and the distributorship in Langley but times change. We will see what the next years will bring with the new ownership.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Without going on too much about any of this, the Klim warranty process has been evolving for a few years now. From the time Polaris acquired them, there have been a lot of personnel changes internally. At the dealer level, it's been a bit of a challenge as only a few people have remained constant, but have been quite supportive, although, at times, it appears their hands have been somewhat tied from above.

While it sucks to see people spend good money and perhaps not get the service they hope for, you should see the other side of the coin and see what others try to warranty. I've seen more attempts to milk the warranty system for a number of reasons than not. In general, the warranty process has been quite fair in our experience of what gets warranties and what does not.

Here's a example of what was done right - received a call the other day from a Klim Rep. Customer had bought a set of bibs sometime ago and has some wear issues. He was planning on a late season trip. Instead of having the customer send the gear all the way back to Idaho for review, the rep gave us a call and asked if we had inventory. We did, customer, who was just passing through, and never purchased from us, had a new set of bibs within a day of initiating the warranty process. As far as I knew, all he had to do was show a picture of the legs cut off or something to that extent. Easy for him, easy for us as it got rid of some inventory late in the season, easy for Klim.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You said, "Klim won't stand behind their product".......well I have had great success with them standing behind my Klim gear. Three different jackets and 7 pairs of bibs (all failing the water test) and no questions asked. Fill out the paper work properly, gear not beat to chit, and it goes smooth. I will say it was a better process with DCI in McGrath, Spirit West in Calgary, and the distributorship in Langley but times change. We will see what the next years will bring with the new ownership.
Hi Doug I am just looking for your suggestion as you have a few years experience with Klim. I have a pair of bibs that are well used (50 rides) that I have pretty well blew the snow cuff out of one leg. I am pretty sure it's was caused from wading around in deep snow and having the snow pack so tight that it ripped the snow cuff out of the seam it is sewn into. I'm thinking it might be easier and cheaper to just have it repaired locally rather than ship them to Klim for warranty. You think you had mentioned a repair shop in a earlier could you provide me with their contact info if you have it handy. My wife says she will do it but they have to be taken apart to do it right and she is not sure here old singer is up to the task! Thank You for your help. PS like your new avatar picture is it out you front or back door?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hi Doug I am just looking for your suggestion as you have a few years experience with Klim. I have a pair of bibs that are well used (50 rides) that I have pretty well blew the snow cuff out of one leg. I am pretty sure it's was caused from wading around in deep snow and having the snow pack so tight that it ripped the snow cuff out of the seam it is sewn into. I'm thinking it might be easier and cheaper to just have it repaired locally rather than ship them to Klim for warranty. You think you had mentioned a repair shop in a earlier could you provide me with their contact info if you have it handy. My wife says she will do it but they have to be taken apart to do it right and she is not sure here old singer is up to the task! Thank You for your help. PS like your new avatar picture is it out you front or back door?

Yes, lots of time it is easier and cheaper to bite the bullet and get the repair done without the warranty process. I have a zipper on one of my Klim jackets that is separating and since the jacket is over two years old, a normal person would admit that it is from normal wear and tear. Spirit West will install a new windproof/waterproof zipper for around $25. Can't beat that and they will do it in a day if I make a morning appointment (in other words, if I phone ahead).

Here is your info: Spirit West Group 1210 11th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T3C 0M4 Canada
Telephone:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can get warranty, great. But if warranty is not available, you can renew the waterproofing of any garment quite easily.

It was explained to me this way......Even a new garment can lose its waterproof-ness when it gets dirty. What makes a garment waterproof is a coating on the "fine hairs" of the coat/pants. If you get a bit of dirt or grime on the coat, those hairs get pressed down (matted) and now water can permeate the fabric. There is a simple product out there that you put in your washing machine to properly clean the garment and then a second process that also goes in you washing machine to re-apply the waterproofing.

I am told that this is the product that some of the companies use when they take your garment in and re-waterproof it for you.

The product is by NikWax. I think I bought the Tech Wash to properly clean it and then TX Direct wash in for the waterproofing. After done, water just beaded on the pants that I did. Worked well.

Sorry, a little off topic....not a warranty story but perhaps this will help someone instead of thinking they need to buy a new garment.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you can get warranty, great. But if warranty is not available, you can renew the waterproofing of any garment quite easily.

It was explained to me this way......Even a new garment can lose its waterproof-ness when it gets dirty. What makes a garment waterproof is a coating on the "fine hairs" of the coat/pants. If you get a bit of dirt or grime on the coat, those hairs get pressed down (matted) and now water can permeate the fabric. There is a simple product out there that you put in your washing machine to properly clean the garment and then a second process that also goes in you washing machine to re-apply the waterproofing.

I am told that this is the product that some of the companies use when they take your garment in and re-waterproof it for you.

The product is by NikWax. I think I bought the Tech Wash to properly clean it and then TX Direct wash in for the waterproofing. After done, water just beaded on the pants that I did. Worked well.

Sorry, a little off topic....not a warranty story but perhaps this will help someone instead of thinking they need to buy a new garment.

I have used the NikWax and Klimate. Here is a video that Arcteryx put out to clean their gear (another product but virtually the same thing). Arcteryx uses a 3 ply Goretex Pro, the same as Klim uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4N6ZuKTZ_c

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I'm seeing here is a pattern......this warranty that's warrenty, got my pants warrantied every year, had my gear warrantied multiple times,no problem.........failed water tests every time, but they warrantied no problem. ...sounds like this gear is basicly junk. Think about it, if this was a vehicle, and it was always in for repair you would refer to said vehicle as a lemon. A great product is one that just works and doesn't need constant repair......like a skidoo.(seriously I literally keep it full of gas and oil,and ride it)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What I'm seeing here is a pattern......this warranty that's warrenty, got my pants warrantied every year, had my gear warrantied multiple times,no problem.........failed water tests every time, but they warrantied no problem. ...sounds like this gear is basicly junk. Think about it, if this was a vehicle, and it was always in for repair you would refer to said vehicle as a lemon. A great product is one that just works and doesn't need constant repair......like a skidoo.(seriously I literally keep it full of gas and oil,and ride it)

You are absolutely correct! With the tag on the garment saying "guaranteed to keep you dry", I will continue to send the gear in to be tested and until I get refused replacement, I will continue to use Klim. The Arcteryx gear is another GoreTex product and even more expensive. No tag on that gear "guaranteed to keep you dry" and I haven't found a sales person who even knows the process when it starts to leak. I agree, paying that much money for gear that can fail within a year of riding is not good. What else is out there? While the Klim gear is working, it is great! I tried to ask about the Motorfist gear and was basically told to go pound sand. I have tested the SkiDoo gear. I know what the ToBe gear is like and the FXR gear, as I see it soaking wet in the cabins all the time.

I doo the same with my Doo's................gas, oil, and ride and in around the 50 day mark each season my under layers start getting wet and I don't like it! Any suggestions for different gear?

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back my Klim jacket. The velcro strip along zipper was coming loose. No charge warranty. Jacket is about 10 years old! No receipt as I do not remember where i bought it. Thanks Adrenaline Polaris in Whitecourt and Klim. And I drive a Skidoo!

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda off topic but Heard Klim let go a bunch of the Canadian sales reps. So you'll be dealing with guy in states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sent a stealth jacket in for a broken front zipper. Will see how it goes

Got my Jacket back. Repair looks well done. My experience with Klim over the years has been pretty good.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Klim has been awesome to deal with and I can't say enough good stuff about there products and how they stand behind em.

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't agree enough. I've been wearing their gear since 1997 and they have stepped up every time i've had an issue or concern. I will remain a dedicated customer as long as I ride! Also, your dealer play a big part of your warranty claims I believe.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Klim pants and jacket were purchased in 2008 and Klim replaced both last year due to leakage, can't complain at all about that.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last trip out my bibs were solid ice by the end of the day. Contacted Klim warranty and had to send them pictures of the suit. Was a bit of a pain but after numerous emails they agreed that I send my suit in. Well it was worth all the hassle. Got my new jacket in the mail today and bibs are coming soon. Second time I've had my suit replaced on warranty so pretty happy about that. Bought the first suit 10 years ago on a clearance rack, best investment I ever made. Thank you Klim.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish it was that good. Had pair of pants that let water in from the knees down. Sent in pics, mailed in my pants & they found a small scuff on one knee & said pants aren't covered.
Its the material is worn out from rubbing on tunnel & side of seat that caused leakage. But no warranty!!! No idea how they base there decisions??

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish it was that good. Had pair of pants that let water in from the knees down. Sent in pics, mailed in my pants & they found a small scuff on one knee & said pants aren't covered.
Its the material is worn out from rubbing on tunnel & side of seat that caused leakage. But no warranty!!! No idea how they base there decisions??

That's odd. It is puzzling as to what is classified warranty and what isn't.

This fall I sent in my jacket and pants for leakage test. My jacket had a rip that had been repaired and also the tether loop was about ready to fall off so I was a little worried if it would be covered or not. They ended up finding leakage in my jacket and replaced it under warranty, thankfully since it was getting time to replace my jacket. With my pants they didn't find leakage, but they did find the water not beading properly so they sent my pants back free of charge with a complementary water proofing treatment. I was hoping to get the chance to switch to the bibs style but oh well. If anyone wants to trade their bibs for a waist pant let me know.

Also after our last trip I hung my gear to dry and a trim piece fell off of my Klim helmet. I also had another trim piece that came off a year or two ago as well that I never bothered with, but figured I would see what they do since my jacket and pant warranty went so well. They ended up determining that the trim pieces aren't something covered under warranty. They said that they are items to be purchased through their online store for replacement but as courtesy they have sent me these new pieces free of charge. So I cant complain one bit.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Klim pants and jacket were purchased in 2008 and Klim replaced both last year due to leakage, can't complain at all about that.

I wonder if the people with the positive experiences can relay who from klim and their contact info. My pants were purchased in late 2007 and now have a problem with the zipper did not get satisfaction with the person I dealt with.

Top Bottom