GPS??? Which one??

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a GPS for sleddin and don't know too much about them, all i have been told is to stick with GARMIN, other than that does anyone know what i should look for in a GPS???

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there are 2 ways to get into this. Go all in - buy the best that you can afford and make a commitment to learning how to use it. Or find a gps that's not so expensive, suits your needs and if you find that your not into it, your not out a bunch of money. I say this because I have some friends that have bought GPS units and never really learned how to use them. I don't think it's a difficult thing to learn but I'm a gadget geek.

I started out with an older Magellan. Greyscale screen and no tracking functions, just the ability to point north and mark points as you go. You had to mark every major turn if you wanted to track backwards. I don't think any of the newer gps's are this limited thankfully.

Upgraded to a Garmin Etrex Vista.
Pros - auto-tracking, lots of memory if you plan on loading topographic maps for the area you're riding, small and easy to mount on the sled so it's out of the way with an etrex handlebar mount. Transfers easily to a mountain bike or motorcycle. Has trackback feature which lets you follow the route you rode, backwards - great for white-out conditions (from experience).
Cons - mine would drop satellite reception in the trees (annoying when you haven't looked at it for half an hour), batteries would drain fast, greyscale screens are not nice to look at once you've seen a color screen. I used to carrying a small 12v rechargeable battery (1/2"wx4"hx6"l) in my windshield bag with a 12v power adapter for the gps to avoid the battery problems.

Last year my wife bought me a Garmin Rino 530 ( I told her which one I wanted and where to buy it :)) I think these are only worth buying if others in your group use a Rino as well.
Pros - auto-tracking, lots of memory for topo maps, color screens (on higher models), better antenna for satellite reception (compared to the etrex), you can find your buddies that have Rino's (within range), FRS & GMRS communication with your buddies (within range) and if you can - get the lithium battery, it's worth it. I mount mine to my steering post with a RAM mount so the gps is easy to see, above the gas tank and the handlebars protect it in case of a rollover. I used to keep it in my jacket but it was a pain in the ___ to pull it out to use it.
There are so many features in the Rino 530 that it can be used for sledding, boating, camping or driving.
Garmin has some free downloads on their site to teach you how to use your GPS. You can go to a GPS store like GPSCentral Customer GPS ADS - Used GPS Sale Rebates GPS Central GPS Sales(Calgary or online) and they can help you find a GPS for sledding. These stores usually have much better prices than places like Cdn Tire or Walmart. GPS Central also has customer gps ads where people sell used stuff. Not much on there now but you can find good deals sometimes.

When you do buy one:
get some PDA screen protectors and cut one to-size that fits on the screen. Keeps the screen from getting scratched up.
you can add your personal info into most units. If you lose it, you still have a way for the honest people to get it back to you.

Last edited:

poppajon

Reaction score
I use a Garmin 60cx, very durable, waterproof, floats, always gets reception. I have downloaded mapsource canada topo onto it, unreal!! Allows you to navigate using landforms, waterways etc.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks mac900rmk,

i took a look at the website you mentioned and they are a lot cheaper than others i have seen, was looking at canadian tire and another outdoor sports shop and these guys are considerably cheaper, i haven't quite decided yet, but i think i might go with something like a Garmin GPSMAP 76, do you happen to have any experience with this model? The salesman said that he used one and beat the sh-- out of it and it kept on working. Not looking for the fanciest model just need something that i can track a trail and be able to follow it back to the start again, as well as keep points stored where a guy would be able to find his way back to the next trip out.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks mac900rmk,

i took a look at the website you mentioned and they are a lot cheaper than others i have seen, was looking at canadian tire and another outdoor sports shop and these guys are considerably cheaper, i haven't quite decided yet, but i think i might go with something like a Garmin GPSMAP 76, do you happen to have any experience with this model? The salesman said that he used one and beat the sh-- out of it and it kept on working. Not looking for the fanciest model just need something that i can track a trail and be able to follow it back to the start again, as well as keep points stored where a guy would be able to find his way back to the next trip out.

I've got the GPSMAP 76Cx. The C is for color, and the x is for xpandable memory. There is also the S model which has electronic compass and barometric altimeter (for about $40 more). I definately recommend this model, you won't be disappointed.

tekim :D

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You should condider the 60 csx,It is virtually the same as the 76 only smaller memory.If you buy it before dec 1st there is a 50.00 dollar mail in rebate.A bit smaller in size as well.Take one in each hand and you will likely buy the 60 csx!
my two cents
catmando!

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should condider the 60 csx,It is virtually the same as the 76 only smaller memory.If you buy it before dec 1st there is a 50.00 dollar mail in rebate.A bit smaller in size as well.Take one in each hand and you will likely buy the 60 csx!
my two cents
catmando!

you and your 60 again!!

ha ha ha :D

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you and your 60 again!!

ha ha ha :D

Well I almost bought one,I like that 50 buck rebate.I went with the Rhino cause everybody has them!
You comming to Mcbride the end of the month!
Marcus will need help with the Texas Mikey!
catmando!

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I almost bought one,I like that 50 buck rebate.I went with the Rhino cause everybody has them!
You comming to Mcbride the end of the month!
Marcus will need help with the Texas Mikey!
catmando!

Mmmm... Texas is my favorite state!! Will definately have to keep that in mind, and plan to work so that I have those days off!!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted the ones I have used or played with for a bit. I just sold a used Magellan Sportrack which has some nice features as well. I just never got to use it once I had the Rino. If you can, make a trip to GPSCentral. They are very helpful and will show you the different models. It's not a typical store with everything on display where you're left to figure it out on your own. They like to find out what your going to use the GPS for.

You might want to write down some of the models that have been suggested here. Once your in the store there are a lot of model numbers thrown around.
And, look into the mounts for each unit to make sure that works for you too.

I've been working with some software that allows you to scan a map and digitize the trails and features that you can view on your GPS when riding. I've gotten turned around in Rolling Hills in a snow storm and at that time it would have been nice to know where the trails are on the gps and not just where I have been. You don't want to guess. The hard part is getting a map to load into a mapsource format and then onto the gps. I uploaded a gps map of the main trails in Rolling Hills i the GPS section on this forum. It works on my etrex and my Rino. I would appreciate anyone else trying it and giving me some feedback. It's only for garmins and you cannot have your topo loaded at the same time.

Thanks mac900rmk,

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I bought a used Magellan Sportrack from mac900rmk, it's awesome...except the Megellan's do not have easy access to on line mapping. If I were buying another New One it would be in the Garmin Family.
That being said, my other Megellan that I've had for 4 years has been great.
Hey Mac, keep us updated on this scaning program, sounds interesting.
Also, Mac's comment on the lens protection film, "DO IT" nothing worse than looking though a scratched screen (don't worry Mac, I had a solution and the color one is just fine).
Great input.
Cheerz.

I posted the ones I have used or played with for a bit. I just sold a used Magellan Sportrack which has some nice features as well. I just never got to use it once I had the Rino. If you can, make a trip to GPSCentral. They are very helpful and will show you the different models. It's not a typical store with everything on display where you're left to figure it out on your own. They like to find out what your going to use the GPS for.

You might want to write down some of the models that have been suggested here. Once your in the store there are a lot of model numbers thrown around.
And, look into the mounts for each unit to make sure that works for you too.

I've been working with some software that allows you to scan a map and digitize the trails and features that you can view on your GPS when riding. I've gotten turned around in Rolling Hills in a snow storm and at that time it would have been nice to know where the trails are on the gps and not just where I have been. You don't want to guess. The hard part is getting a map to load into a mapsource format and then onto the gps. I uploaded a gps map of the main trails in Rolling Hills i the GPS section on this forum. It works on my etrex and my Rino. I would appreciate anyone else trying it and giving me some feedback. It's only for garmins and you cannot have your topo loaded at the same time.

Top Bottom