Good insurance?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my renewal in the mail today and not very pleased. My insurance went up, 1 minor ticket 2 years ago that didn't affect anything, zero claims and 4 years with ING (or whatever they changed their name to this week) and they raise my rates :rant:

Anyone know something better? My total premium for my truck is $3179, last year it was $3139. It's not a lot, but I figured everything would drop a bit, and lower my whole thing like $300 or so it usually does. 3rd year with collision, same truck and it jumped to more then the first year, collision itself jumped over 25%. This doesn't seem right to me? My bros renewal a few months ago his dropped a ton, he has 2 years of driving on me, but I don't see why his should drop and mine go up :confused:

And I am sick of my broker. Everytime I phone or go in there I am dealing with someone new and they tell me something different. I found out recently that they might not even cover my truck for collision because of my lift, I asked the previous person THREE times and said it was no problem, and that I didn't need to tell them, but now they told me there is a height restriction, and I need to add extra coverage, and give them pictures and reciepts or it's not covered. And I found out later that one of my old sleds didn't even have thief on it, because they wouldn't put thief on it :rolleyes:

Anyone? It would be nice to find a better rate, but I mostly want to find someone that will tell me the RIGHT things, because if something happened to my truck and they refused to pay there would be some big problems....

If it matters i'm 20, been driving for 4 years and the truck is a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel.

we were with ING as well for 7 yrs. wife and I this year comes time for renewal rates go up by nearly 25% if i take the sleds off, more if i leave them on. Went to a new company we pay around 2 hun a month for everything. cant remember the company through but Agent is Verna @ Drayden insurance in Stony Plain. Lokked around for us for a long time to find us best rate/coverage. Best agent we have been with ever.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2008 3500 Duramax crewcab 4x4 longbox SRW.

ICBC $1300.00 per year, full coverage including replacement cost.:d:beer:

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i was in alberta with ING, i had my 03 dodge fully covered, collision and everything. Cost me 136/month. And that was comercial covereage for work too. 5 Million liability and such. My sled was about 300/year and my quad was 400/year. Now i never had a claim and i had a few(6) speeding tickets. I had 3 demerits left on my licence and they still never raised it after 4 years. In sask my insureance is only 1400/year with a 100 deductable. Not sure though, as my house insurance was 2300. i got that down to 1600 though.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i was in alberta with ING, i had my 03 dodge fully covered, collision and everything. Cost me 136/month. And that was comercial covereage for work too. 5 Million liability and such. My sled was about 300/year and my quad was 400/year. Now i never had a claim and i had a few(6) speeding tickets. I had 3 demerits left on my licence and they still never raised it after 4 years. In sask my insureance is only 1400/year with a 100 deductable. Not sure though, as my house insurance was 2300. i got that down to 1600 though.

That is really cheap, curious how old are you?

Age has to be the only thing killing me. Going to start phoning places for quotes.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is really cheap, curious how old are you?

Age has to be the only thing killing me. Going to start phoning places for quotes.

Well im only 24 but i was with the same insurance company since i was 14(for my quad). The broker was also a family friend. He found me the best rate. I also went to Defensive driving every 2 years to get points back and to lower insurance. Not sure what to say man but i would shop around. I have always herd the co operators is cheaper, i know back in high school my buddy was 2k cheaper than me cause he took that drivers ed.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been doing some online quotes, one site was $6000, the other $3700 for the cheapest of about 8 companies. Making sure everything is the same, no idea what's up :mad:

Going to phone some real places this week, sure hope it is better then that.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya id shop around, Or just move to sask, Then your insurance is only 1100/year all in(thats everything and 100 deductable.)

albroker

Reaction score
one ticket for speeding jumps your rate by 25%, pls crash and newer truck and your age, that sounds like a good deal,I am an insurance broker and I have seen higher rates

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one ticket for speeding jumps your rate by 25%, pls crash and newer truck and your age, that sounds like a good deal,I am an insurance broker and I have seen higher rates

That's the thing the ticket was on my record last renewal, didn't affect my rates and I even asked about it, they said I was allowed 1 minor ticket wouldn't affect my rates. There is NOTHING that should jump my rates. And my bro is the exact same, just 2 years driving on me and he is $110 per month less then me. I am sure I am getting screwed. Most of the differences in rates is how much collision is.

albroker

Reaction score
rates have also increased this year, even my house rate has increased by 300 per year

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rates have also increased this year, even my house rate has increased by 300 per year

Not according to this....

Government of Alberta

Absolutely everyone I know has said this years premiums have dropped for them. Just wondering do you work for ING or something? You seem to be defending them for gouging rates. I am going to go with another broker and insurance no matter what, ING is terrible.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will say one thing man, ING did me no wrong, And they were the quickest to settle with me when i hit a deer. They sure settle quick. I would shop around though man, there is always a better deal out there.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will say one thing man, ING did me no wrong, And they were the quickest to settle with me when i hit a deer. They sure settle quick. I would shop around though man, there is always a better deal out there.

Yea ING did pay me quick when my truck was stolen, I was suprised.

Phoned for 3 more quotes, one place was a little under 300/month, other two phoning me back tomorrow. Seems like they all think $275 isn't bad :(

They are all saying my speeding ticket is effecting my rate though? I though you had 1 grace ticket? It was under 20 over, and it was on my record last renewal. I wouldn't think it is the cause of my collision rising?

Hitchguy

Reaction score
call the co-operators they were far the cheapest for me when i was a young guy and i am still with them! pay outs are fast and if your in an accident they do look after you.

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend told me to try Primium (sp).
I've heard they are really cheap for specialty items like quads and sleds.
I called them and they transferred me to TD Monnex cuz I'm a NAIT grad.

I pay... 459/yr w/ full collision for a 09 M8 Cat.
That's WAY cheaper than the other places I called. (Highest one was around $850 if I recall - Intact/ING) (Note: From what I understand - the price of insurance jumps up a bracket when the value of the sled goes over 11G's)

You can save a lot of cash by spending a few minutes on the phone.

As far as house and vehicle insurances, friends have been saying that Canadian Direct is pretty cheap.

Good luck

Top Bottom