Gearing down a 800 for wife?

powder dreams

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone on her has ever geared down a 800 for there wife to ride? Or does this just sound crazy? The 5/6/700's all seem overpriced to me and the 800's are so much easier to come by plus there usually cheaper it seems.

im really not up on gearing with sleds but i don't see why you couldn't toss some different gears in. I'm not real sure if it'll create clutching issues? Any advice would be appreciated. For reference I'm looking at getting a 08-10 xp800 or a 05-11 m8. Mostly leaning towards the cat but if this isn't a reasonable option I'll have to track down a m6/7.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch it the stock gearing and clutching is very smooth on engagement and low speeds I think hearing it down for your wife would have a negative effect for her and make it less manageable

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why my wife rides a 800 polaris switchback and it could use more power and speed that is why they put throttles on them. remember your throttle is your friend when you get in trouble

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
She will probably need electric start, especially if you get an 800. More important than gearing would probably be some well set up clutching that doesn't hit too hard and make her get stuck a lot.

Panzerdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy her an 09 m8 it's the only year with all the good updates and the non HO motor then wrap some tape around the handle bar so she can't push the throttle all the way in as she gets used to it take some tape of my girlfriend rides an 09 m1000 with no tape now

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, again what are you trying to achieve by gearing it down? Gear to low and it could make it worse when she grabs some throttle.

My girlfriend rides a '12 154 800 etec. She isn't climbing everything sidehilling like a pro but the sled is fine for her. Added electric start as she isn't much more than 100 lbs. Best thing is when she does get in trouble there is enough motor to ride the sled out of whatever she can't.

SRogers

Reaction score
Really why would you mess with the gearing for the wife...seriously if she is gonna ride leave her on the 800 I am a "girl"//a "wife" and I would be unimpressed being put on something less seriously she can handle it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys make the same mistake all the time when they want there wives to ride with them. If you want your wife to ride with you buy her the same sled as your riding! She will learn to ride it! And it is easier to learn to ride a sled properly set up then geared down or throttle set not to open all the way. Lots of times riding throttle is your friend! My wife rides the same sled as me that way she don't hold be back one bit! Would you want to ride with buddies on a 600 or a detuned 800? Then why make your wife ride one?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys make the same mistake all the time when they want there wives to ride with them. If you want your wife to ride with you buy her the same sled as your riding! She will learn to ride it! And it is easier to learn to ride a sled properly set up then geared down or throttle set not to open all the way. Lots of times riding throttle is your friend! My wife rides the same sled as me that way she don't hold be back one bit! Would you want to ride with buddies on a 600 or a detuned 800? Then why make your wife ride one?

X2
I see it done all the time, or she be on a hand me down or worst an old beater. Let her pick her brand and size, don't detune. If she rides once or twice a year, now that is a different story that needs a different address but still detuning is not the answer.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its the top end she is worried about just install a throtle govener. Our TRV has one we use when my wife cant come my 15 yr rides it.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just buy a xm and she will be fine.
They are really slow and made for the petite ?

powder dreams

Reaction score
Just trying to slow it down for the first little bit tell she's got some seat time. Its alot easier to work up then scare the hell out of her rate off the bat. I don't need her developing a constant fear of riding. Figured it would have the same effect as dropping a tooth on a dirt bike. Iv done that lots it's quick and easy. Just want to avoid having to buy something bigger down the road. The tape idea sounds pretty good tho. Not all of us are out there to climb all day and ride 3' of fresh so a m6 or m7 would work just fine to play around in the hills. There's hundreds of 800's for sale but very few 6-700's is all.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just leave it stock and try to teach throttle control more than anything. Even if you gear it down it's not gonna change it that much. If she gets on and puts her to the bar it's still gonna take off like a bat outta hell. Learning how to control that bat is key.

Top Bottom