Fuel leak

Bigbragg

Reaction score
I have a 2002 polaris sportsman 700 with a fuel leak.
The fuel is comming out of a small clear hose running from the bottom of the carb to just under the skid plate.
It has now been 3 hours and my fuel tank is bone dry.
Before the tank was empty;half tank, the quad would turn over but not fire up.

Any ideas ?????
Please.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 polaris sportsman 700 with a fuel leak.
The fuel is comming out of a small clear hose running from the bottom of the carb to just under the skid plate.
It has now been 3 hours and my fuel tank is bone dry.
Before the tank was empty;half tank, the quad would turn over but not fire up.

Any ideas ?????
Please.
sounds like the floats in the carb are stuck. try giving the carb a tap on the bowl with a wrench or screwdriver and they might free up. would be a good idea to remove the carb and give it a cleaning, though the floats may unstick from tapping, there's a chance there is some gunk in there that caused the problem.

Bigbragg

Reaction score
Ya, Thanks i'll give that a try.
The local dealer was no help at all. Bring it in he said at $130/hr. 2month wait.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that does sound like a stuck float. I had my bike do the same thing. just took off the lines going to the carb, the bowl comes off to at the bottom of the carb and bought some carb clean from canadian tire and sprayed in into the carb where to hoses go. Fixed it for under $10.00. Didn't even have to remove the carb.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this happends to my dads xr 250 be carfule cuse i think this is what blew the engine as soon as he turns on the fuel it flodes and comes out the hole so turn off the fuel then turn over then let the fuel go it will fire.

this is a problem thoe my dady needed a new engine!!!!!!!!!!!:nono:

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like the floats in the carb are stuck. try giving the carb a tap on the bowl with a wrench or screwdriver and they might free up. would be a good idea to remove the carb and give it a cleaning, though the floats may unstick from tapping, there's a chance there is some gunk in there that caused the problem.

I experienced the exact same problem on my AC 500. After a a ride... there was a stream of fuel pouring out of the bottom tube coming from the carb. It completely drained the fuel from the tank. Due to a stuck float. I learned later that all I needed to do was wack the bowl to release the stuck float :mad:

Like Teeroy said... give the float bowl a good rap with a screwdriver handle or a wrench. Next step is to clean things up.

Top Bottom