Fuel in McBride

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone fuel up at the Petro Canada in McBride recently? Son and his GF family are out there and are having fuel issues. Sleds wont start, and when they do they run like chit. 4 of the 5 sleds. The 5th one brought his own fuel. Just seeing if theres more people this weekend that are having problems and trying to figure it out.
They fuelled up this morning.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12 years of snowmobiling in McBride I only bougtyfuek there twice. Both times bang. Bring my own fuel with me all the time now.

Ohmz

Reaction score
Always always use the husky man, they have sled fuel pumps, no ethanol, and discounted cuz its purple.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never fuel up with a tanker truck sitting in the parking lot delivering product no issues. Ive used the petro canada in mcbride for diesel and gas ive had no issues. Unfortunately this can happen at any gas station, but I make a habit of bringing my own gas cause its cheaper.

If you have a concern get the attendant to dip the tank with a paste to check for water content. All underground storage tanks have water in them.

Last edited:

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never fuel up with a tanker truck sitting in the parking lot delivering product. Ive used the petro canada in mcbride for diesel and gas. Unfortunately this can happen at any gas station, but I make a habit of bringing mny own gas cause its cheaper.

Thats a given on the tanker.

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to the Husky and the pumps to the south of the building is sled fuel. Premium for the price of Regular. Try some sea foam or gas line antifreeze

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never fuel up with a tanker truck sitting in the parking lot delivering product no issues. Ive used the petro canada in mcbride for diesel and gas ive had no issues. Unfortunately this can happen at any gas station, but I make a habit of bringing my own gas cause its cheaper.

If you have a concern get the attendant to dip the tank with a paste to check for water content. All underground storage tanks have water in them.

Attendent told them there's nothing he can do. Sounds like the owner of the petro can is a bit shady. Will get more info on that later.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve read a bunch of info on Ethanol in fuel recently as a buddy potentially took out an engine using Petro fuel and to say the least it’s really not ideal for two strokes. One ethanol acts as a solvent not ideal when fuel it is mixed with you lubricating oil but the biggest issue is that Ethanol has an affinity for water one article said normal non ethanol fuel contains less than 150ppm where Ethanol can be as high as 5000-7000 ppm 1% is 10,000ppm. I know water in fuel is not ideal for multiple reasons but it would further strip lubrication little own freeze up expand rapidly ect off top of my head. I’m guessing 4 stroke vehicles get away with it mostly because of endless lubrication. From why I can see it’s used to oxygenate fuel and prevent carbon build ups but defiantly comes with adverse affects. I would be staying away from the ethanol stations if I had a 2 smoker.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only ever run shell v-power 91 octane in anything I own. That goes for lawn mowers and snow blowers to the cars and even the 50/50 av mix for the turbo sleds. You can try to talk up that 3 extra octane points all you want, but I can get the octane needed without needing to add the devils sauce (ethanol) to my fuels.

just my 2 cents and just coming from a guy who wrenches daily and has been for many years.

I’ve read a bunch of info on Ethanol in fuel recently as a buddy potentially took out an engine using Petro fuel and to say the least it’s really not ideal for two strokes. One ethanol acts as a solvent not ideal when fuel it is mixed with you lubricating oil but the biggest issue is that Ethanol has an affinity for water one article said normal non ethanol fuel contains less than 150ppm where Ethanol can be as high as 5000-7000 ppm 1% is 10,000ppm. I know water in fuel is not ideal for multiple reasons but it would further strip lubrication little own freeze up expand rapidly ect off top of my head. I’m guessing 4 stroke vehicles get away with it mostly because of endless lubrication. From why I can see it’s used to oxygenate fuel and prevent carbon build ups but defiantly comes with adverse affects. I would be staying away from the ethanol stations if I had a 2 smoker.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both times I blew up was Husky. Once was the Sledder fuel the other was the high test at regular pumps. Sled ran great days before. We ran out of fuel in Jerry cans so used the town fuel. Got me twice. Won’t be a third time.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a fact that ethanol blended fuels on engines designed to run on it work way better. My brother mixes ethanol in his snowbike fuel with a box designed to run on it. His snowbike rips.

I use 94 petrocanada gas in my sled.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both times I blew up was Husky. Once was the Sledder fuel the other was the high test at regular pumps. Sled ran great days before. We ran out of fuel in Jerry cans so used the town fuel. Got me twice. Won’t be a third time.

Husky doesn’t make gasoline except at PG so you never know whose fuel they are selling. Shell 91 is the only way to go.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here comes the ethanol BS. I run husky 94 with ethanol in everything. Ton in the car racing scene all using it and more ethanol the better. More power, more timing, more boost, cleaner burning.

ive fueled up at that petro lots. It’s -30 or has been for a extended period of time, condensation has been freezing and forming in tanks all over now. Their tanks could have been low and condensation formed in them.

Top Bottom