Freezing Up

Heli

Reaction score
Starting to do alot of winter quadding, put some Tatou 4S tracks on my beast but i'm worried about freezing up the machine on longer rides. ANy ideas in order to winterize a quad? or does anyone else have any problems of freezing up?

Thanks

bcham5

Reaction score
buddy had the tatou tracks on his rhino and they sucked, the bogeys kept popping off and the supports that keep the track from wrapping broke and that did some damage, other then that they kicked butt in the snow , you might wanna look at a snorkle for the intake cuz my brute had a bad habit of filling the airbox full when i used it in powder.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Tatou 4s tracks on my Grizz and have no problems.

I've thought about putting a Outerwear over my belt intake, but I haven't really sucked any powder down it to speak of so haven't done that yet.

I do spray my CV boots & the A-arms, etc with a silicone spray after & before every ride ... but it doesn't really do much after a few miles in the snow.

I also carry two large plastic cooking spoons, so every time I stop, I clean the snow away from the CV boots so it doesn't freeze to'em & maybe rip'em. (I've heard of it happening to a guy in BC. Real damn cold up there)

As for dependability ... I made some heavy duty anti-rotaion rods after a friend has his break on him. But it must be mentioned ... he did a LOT of riding on asphalt & dirt to get to the snow ... and speed. So I thiink he was devolping a lot of vibration one riding in snow wouldn't experience.

I also tore my tracks apart & rebuilt the frames so I can easily remove, service & grease, or replace the bearings in the bogie wheels.

I also made some inner fenders to keep the snow from building up inside the frame, making the bike heavier than it already is.

Hope some of that helps. Carry the spoons just incase.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Gunny. Although I've had my Tatous for 4 yrs, I've yet to have a problem with them or the 3 quads they;ve been on. With the cold weather that Ab. gets freezing around the boots can be a problem. When I stop for coffee/lunch, I take my spoon and clean around the boots so ice doesn't form. Really important to do this after a ride if you're trailering home. Snow forms to ice quick in those conditions.

Problems with tracks is usually the fault or driving habits of the driver.

Top Bottom