exhaust manifold bolts falling out

xtreme

Reaction score
just a reminder to all riders especially rev guys. CHECK MANAFOLD BOLTS REGULARLY

i was out rideing on the 26 and 40mls in my 07 summit x started to sound airy and loud. checked under hood a noticed 4 bolts from the left y pipe were gone and the gasket was just hanging there. now what? no allen key, no spare bolts, no magnet to find said bolts. the only thing to do was take 2 bolts from other side and hope they hold for the rest of the day. they did and we had a great day.

moral of this story

carry allen key
carry magnet
most of all go through your sled after every ride.

ride safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: manafold bolts falling out

What I was getting at is if you use nordlocks and loctite, torque to speck, you shouldn't need to carry any of these tools in the field. Check the bolts before each ride and you'll be fine.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What I was getting at is if you use nordlocks and loctite, torque to speck, you shouldn't need to carry any of these tools in the field. Check the bolts before each ride and you'll be fine.
just an FYI....if you plan on ever removing your y-pipe after using loctite the bolts may snap off inside the head....heard of it happening more than once. just run the nordlock washers and tighten to spec, they will never come loose again.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My buddy this year was riding up beside me and thought his can fell off, opended the side panel, looked at the y-pipe, missing 4 bolts. :nono:

Don't run your sled with missing bolts, you can lean out your cyclinders pretty quick if you don't have a good seal.

I bent a long handle allen key at a 45 degree angle, it really helps for getting at the y-pipe without removing anything on the XP's.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I run the Nordlocks on all our sleds and have never had them back out yet, I would be a little nervous abut the use of lock tight on these bolts, not that it can't be done but it may just cause way more work down the road.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My buddy this year was riding up beside me and thought his can fell off, opended the side panel, looked at the y-pipe, missing 4 bolts. :nono:

Don't run your sled with missing bolts, you can lean out your cyclinders pretty quick if you don't have a good seal.

I bent a long handle allen key at a 45 degree angle, it really helps for getting at the y-pipe without removing anything on the XP's.

I blew a motor with this exact reason. Check the factory bolts on the REV platform! Like mentioned above use the proper bolts and washers. LOCKTITE IS BAD! With the heat from the cylinders you'll never get the bolts out without breaking or stripping. I was told that the originals came loose because they were not tightened to spec right from the factory.:nono:

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

use the silver anti-seize and Nordlock's and you wont have an issue
donethis on my last 3 sleds w no complaints

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I meant to say a different type of locktite(not blue), I use a pink grade which is for electical screws. It won't hold like regular loctite but if the bolt loosens it will prevent the bolt from backing out due to vibration. It really has no strength per say so there's no possiblity of snapping a bolt.

Slummit

Reaction score

I had numerous problems with the manifold bolts on my 06 Summit but a friend of mine showed me a spring loaded washer that you can buy at any Acklands. I put them in and haven't had a problem since. They work great. By the way, the hex head bolts that hold your hood hinge on are the same thread as the manifold bolts... found that out 10 km from the truck.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good old .25 lockwire works good to.drill some small holes in the bolt wire them up,will never come out.

drop the hammer

Reaction score
I cut an old 5mm allen key real short, about 2 inches long, with the other side of the 90 degreee bend cut down to about 3/8 of an inch long, so I have a mini allen wrench that i tuck into my tool kit. Threw a couple extra ypipe bolts and nordlocks into backpack incase it happens to me or someone on the hill.
Pretty much have to remove the pipe on the hill using boot lace for spring removal, and it takes a while, but you can do it. Adding Nordlocks solves all the issues, fastenal can order them in, size M6.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cut an old 5mm allen key real short, about 2 inches long, with the other side of the 90 degreee bend cut down to about 3/8 of an inch long, so I have a mini allen wrench that i tuck into my tool kit. Threw a couple extra ypipe bolts and nordlocks into backpack incase it happens to me or someone on the hill.
Pretty much have to remove the pipe on the hill using boot lace for spring removal, and it takes a while, but you can do it. Adding Nordlocks solves all the issues, fastenal can order them in, size M6.

the xp bolts ar 2or3mm longer because of this,, I put them in the rev,, as well most the time the the bolts always seem to stay in the engine bay,,, tilt sled on side and bang one will fall out,,,,, all my revs have done this its weird there good for 500km then one day decide to loosen off....

might as well through a spring puller in the kit its not too big lol,,, shoe lace at -20 sounds scary,, but hey it works good tip....

Top Bottom