Timber King
Reaction score
The rear seat is not meant for passengers they are meant for resting :rolleyes:

Legally I think the only way is to buy a specific 2 up quad

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
There is no true "legality" surrounding this topic actually. However, it is safest and most recommended to buy a true 2 up quad or a side by side.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you do don't go up any hills it will go over backwards without any warning and your passenger will be at the bottom of the mess and to make it worse is as the front goes up the passenger slides back further not worth it go with a true 2 up not a 1 up with a bucket seat

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is it legal to double up on a quad without buying a two up seat??

We have a 2008 Polaris Sportsman and ride two up, a far bit. It is fine we have had no problems...... Just use some com & sence....... no steep hills ( if you come up on some thing you have to think about, the passenger gets off and walks up the hill or down if needs be) and no high speed. It comes back to who's the driver ! :)

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 2008 Polaris Sportsman and ride two up, a far bit. It is fine we have had no problems...... Just use some com & sence....... no steep hills ( if you come up on some thing you have to think about, the passenger gets off and walks up the hill or down if needs be) and no high speed. It comes back to who's the driver ! :)

Exactly, have rode 2 up on a 1 up many many times....follow Kelzon's instructions and all will be good. Have been stopped and asked for reg and insurance with a passenger and nothing was ever said!;):d

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Exactly, have rode 2 up on a 1 up many many times....follow Kelzon's instructions and all will be good. Have been stopped and asked for reg and insurance with a passenger and nothing was ever said!;):d

Were you sitting DIRECTLY on top of the disclaimer sticker about how your not supposed to do that? Is that why you didnt see it? lol

brianwmcdonald

Reaction score
Depends where you live. I know back home in Newfoundland is is illegal to ride with a passenger and the penalties are hefty for doing so. I would check with local authorities. Here in Alberta there's no law against it, but that doesn't mean it's fine in Manitoba, better to check and be sure.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends where you live. I know back home in Newfoundland is is illegal to ride with a passenger and the penalties are hefty for doing so. I would check with local authorities. Here in Alberta there's no law against it, but that doesn't mean it's fine in Manitoba, better to check and be sure.

They did that in Newfoundland so that way the driver didn't have someone to hold onto the bottle of Screech :eek:

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

X2, I am from Manitoba, been in Alberta 4 years, I once got stop by the game wardens when I was already pulled over on the side of a road with my dads quad, I was checking out the carp fish by a bridge on a gravel road with my wife and we had no helmets...:nono:.. the warden just gave me a little talking too and said I probably should have helmets and not be on the gravel road......then took off..thats was probably in 2004-05

Just the way we grew up, helmets were no big deal, however you wont see me with out one today......:nono:

Call the RCMP and conservation cops, see what they say to be sure!!!

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This Question goes for a lot of things in life....... put the blame where it belongs..... in Quading it is the rider ! ( driver )
Not the Quad ! :nono:
It is like wanting guns out lawed....... It is the "Azz Hole" on the end of the fire arm Not the gun ! :nono:

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were you sitting DIRECTLY on top of the disclaimer sticker about how your not supposed to do that? Is that why you didnt see it? lol

HAH!! ummm might be actually!! Went out and looked and it's on the rear of the seat....LOL
My old quad I doubled almost every trip, On this quad I don't double nearly as much, I did double half one trip last weekend and that is when I was stopped and was asked for my papers, we had helmets and proper paperwork. Hell he even commented that he liked the fact the quad box had another brake/tail light....lol Go figure! I am looking at a new machine (started my scouting around today actually) and will be getting a 2 up machine next spring, mostly I like the wheelbase!

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've 2 upped many times. its only dangerous if your
a. going to fast
b. heavy off camber hills where the passenger should be getting off.
c. steep inclines and descents passenger should also be getting off.

the problem with 2 upping is when you need to bail. your passenger usually is who gets hurt when bad things happen. so long as you are being reasonable and taking it easy that should never be a problem.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Polaris 850 and its a single rider quad but I ride 2up with my GF all the time and I have gone up and down some steep hills with no problems. One thing you want to make sure is when your mounting the passenger seat try your best to get it mounted so the passenger would be sitting before the rear axle starts or directly on the rear axle and not behind the rear axle. This will make it so the weight of them isn't pulling down the back of the quad and making the front lift easier. I made mine so the passengers weight will be just a bit before the rear axle so it won't lift up very easy when going up a steep hill. :)

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Polaris 850 and its a single rider quad but I ride 2up with my GF all the time and I have gone up and down some steep hills with no problems. One thing you want to make sure is when your mounting the passenger seat try your best to get it mounted so the passenger would be sitting before the rear axle starts or directly on the rear axle and not behind the rear axle. This will make it so the weight of them isn't pulling down the back of the quad and making the front lift easier. I made mine so the passengers weight will be just a bit before the rear axle so it won't lift up very easy when going up a steep hill. :)

Exactly how I put mine one on too! My old machine has a short seat so it is a little cramped for me but still quite comfortable, but keep the occasional added weight slightly ahead of the axle, and I have climbed some really nasty steep hills without too many problems. If I ever did encounter a tail heavy situation, I turned around and backed up it....or the passenger got off!

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride two up all the time, I got a nice box for the back and the fender guards with the foot pegs. works great way better than a real two up machine, almost every one i ride with dose it this way and none of us have ever had a problem.

Top Bottom