does the water trick work on a cat primary??

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a buddy thats tryin to get his primary off his m8 and i explained to him how to do the ol water trick and he said it wont work .. will it not work on a cat?? ive seen vids of guys doin it on there poo's ...so i figure u can and he's just not puttin on enough teflon tape or hes wrappin it on the wrong way..

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats what i thought ,,why cant u just use the same bolt that u use to hold ur primary on??

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to take of the primary to get a puller, tighten it up then get a pot of very hot water and pour it over the center of the primary if it doesn't just pop off one more turn on the puller will do it.
Lots of people hammer the puller but I don't like the impacting on my crank. The hot water trick has always worked for me.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alright thks guys guess hes gotta buy the puller then..

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good dealer that you know might even lend you one. One of many reasons to have a good relationship with them.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell him before wrapping the bolt in teflon make sure it threads in easy. This will verify he has the right one.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went all through this and with the help of many S&Mers I got it figured out. When I was doing it I was mistakingly using the same size thread as the bolt that held the primary on. In my mind if I put water down that hole it should pressurize it up and pop it off. What was happening is I wasn't in the primary and all I was doing was compressing water in the end of the crank. As mentioned I bought a length of 3/4 fine threaded rod and a fine threaded nut, cut the rod down welded the nut to the rod and done worked like a charm.
I've since seen a set up where you do not need to tip the sled on its side and I'm thinking about modifying my threaded rod. You drill out the center of the rod and thread it. Fill the crank with water using a bottle with a small hose on it that can go into the center threaded area. You fill and cover with your finger and then quickly re thread a center bolt in trapping the water in. Trick is to try and get all the air out. once the center bolt is back in you crank on the main rod and pop it off.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My M7 that has a 2009 M8 take off clutch on it, uses a 9/16 -18 NF bolt to remove the clutch. Not a 3/4", and the water trick works great for it. I picked up a 3" or 3.5" (can't quite remember which) Grade 8 bolt from the local bolt supply place for like $2. Beats the puller that costs 20 times as much and likes to break 50% of the time.

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup it works for sure! Summitric taught me how to do it years ago and Yup for sure it works!!

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this. I just used it on my sons AC 800. Primary popped right off. I wrapped the threads of the bolt twice as the first time I didn't use enough Teflon tape. I also used an electric 3/8 impact the second time rather than a ratchet. It popped with some good force. I didn't even get hurt. Weird. Lol

west coast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the primary bolt wrapped in teflon tape. Retardedly easy!!

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Primary bolt won't work for my clutch. I had to find one that threaded into the clutch and not the crank.

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just went threw all I this. I used a 9/16 bolt thx to dvst8r and some decent tread type. It took me a few try's and on the finally attempt I thought i was gonna snap somthing with the presure I was getting off the rachet. After what sounded like a gun shot the primary jumped off and I had to catch it!

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can't get it to pop, you could leave the bolt tightened up and roll it outside for the night. The water will freeze and it'll be off when you wake up in the morning.

Top Bottom