Cosmetic damage welding EGT bungs on ceramic coated Y-pipe?

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got my pipe and Y-pipe ceramic coated and then like an idiot realized after I should have had EGT bungs welded on beforehand. At the time wasnt' too concerned on EGT's cause the wideband is there but now I want per cylinder EGT's as a backcheck and so I can balance the fueling side-side. So just wondering if someone has done this and perhaps could take a pic what it looks like after? I'm guessing TIG will look better than MIG work but may be little more expensive.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you mean like this? LOL the far downpipe I forgot to weld the wideband bungs in before ceramic. OOPS! however what I did do was made a sticker with a big enough center hole to expose all of the damage with a outer diameter of 4 inches. Like a donut essentially. This acted like a mask to avoid overspray on the good ceramic/undamaged area. I used Canadian Tire high temp grey spray paint from the automotive section. ALMOST looks intentional. I tig'd mine in. IMG_1311_zps37a00e49.jpg

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tig would be best and your going to lose the ceramic around the weld

I would agree that tig would be the best weld. But mig would be a way faster weld so the heat wouldn't be there as long so there fore not spreading as far out. And with tig you would have to grind of the coating around the welded area or you would get porosity and mig you can weld right through the coating. I have welded cracked ceramic pipes before with mig and it burns about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch on each side of the weld.

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bring a beer or two to my garage and I will weld it for you.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Neil I was going to contact you after reading the other 'aluminum welding' thread, I've got another small weld job mild steel on my Vmax swingarm and then also some tabs need welding on the bike for frame brace brackets but that won't be till next spring now probably.

Isone thank you I'll do exactly that in terms of getting some protective high temp tape around where the bungs go. That car has a lot of motor awesome sleeper!! What turbos how much boost which fuel & engine management etc?

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Neil I was going to contact you after reading the other 'aluminum welding' thread, I've got another small weld job mild steel on my Vmax swingarm and then also some tabs need welding on the bike for frame brace brackets but that won't be till next spring now probably.

Isone thank you I'll do exactly that in terms of getting some protective high temp tape around where the bungs go. That car has a lot of motor awesome sleeper!! What turbos how much boost which fuel & engine management etc?
You're welcome! We all make silly mistakes and throw money into the wind lol. They are billet precision 67mm. Factory ecu with Hp tuners. Boost ranges based on traction, 8-20psi.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Give me a pm anytime.

Top Bottom