Clutching is everything!!

tanner

Reaction score
Well I finally found out what everyone was talking about when it comes to clutching. I had my 02 RMK 800 out for 5 days in valemount and had time to test weights and springs in my team secondary. My helix was a 58-42-46. I tried 3 different springs and I couldn't climb sh!t in the deep snow. I was ready to drive it off a cliff. Monday I called Team Industries and talked to their tech, he said that my helix will never work for what I was trying to do. I was told to run a 58-38-46 with a black/purple spring and gear it to a 19/41 that would work the best. I called to Cycle Work and ordered a new light weight Team secondary and had them send it up, couldnt get the right spring or gearing but the helix was what I really needed. This made this machine work the best it has ever worked ever, I couldn't believe it. It will give the 08 m8 a run but he can still out climb me by a bit in the deep snow. We raced up the hillclimb at allen and it was a tie. The right spring will give a little more back shift and it should help. Just another $700 into this sled but worth every cent.

A big Thank you to Cycle Works for the great parts service. Over night service to Valemount

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told to run a 58-38-46 with a black/purple spring and gear it to a 19/41 that would work the best.

Is your new helix the dual helix? I also talked to the Team techs; as well as SLP techs. In my Vertical Escape I ran the 58-38-46 ramps in the deep pow; then in set up snow I used the 58-40-46 ramp angles. Good to hear you got it workin' to put a smile back on your face.:cool:

tanner

Reaction score
Is your new helix the dual helix? I also talked to the Team techs; as well as SLP techs. In my Vertical Escape I ran the 58-38-46 ramps in the deep pow; then in set up snow I used the 58-40-46 ramp angles. Good to hear you got it workin' to put a smile back on your face.:cool:

Yes it is a dual helix. I will use the 40 in the set up snow too. What gearing do you use in that Escape?

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a useful post as i have the same sled. What weights did it come with stock in the primary? Also, as I have never tackled changing weights in my primary clutch - is it a big deal? Can it be done without removing the clutch?

Thanks

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a useful post as i have the same sled. What weights did it come with stock in the primary? Also, as I have never tackled changing weights in my primary clutch - is it a big deal? Can it be done without removing the clutch?

Thanks

I think 62g was stock....but I'm not positive. Changing weights is super simple; all you need is a short chunk of pipe (24" will do), and a U-clamp. Compress the sheaves of the primary clutch with the pipe, and drop the U-clamp over both compressed sheaves to hold the clutch slightly closed. This should allow the weights to sit freely (no longer contacting the rollers). Then remove the pins, pull out the weights, set the new weights in place, and reinstall the pins.:trustme:

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you say compress the sheaves - are you using the pipe on the outside of the clutch closest to the belly pan to push in?

tanner

Reaction score

Thanks

I use a small prybar about 10" collapse the spring and change the weight, it will take about 15min on the hill.

Top Bottom