Chevy Tow Vehicle - Trailer Internal Lighting?

Orgnoi1

Reaction score
Website
www.northeastfoto.com
I have noticed when I switched over from Dodge to Chevy a few years ago we lost our internal trailer lighting... I noticed on the truck plug that it doesnt list a "hot lead" on it... any clues/suggestions on how to go about getting that problem fixed? :mad:

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have noticed when I switched over from Dodge to Chevy a few years ago we lost our internal trailer lighting... I noticed on the truck plug that it doesnt list a "hot lead" on it... any clues/suggestions on how to go about getting that problem fixed? :mad:
I got a 07 GMC and it does the same thing. I friend of mine said that I needed to add a fuse somewhere. He had to do the same thing to his 01-02, but he doesn`t remember where it was suppose to go, and I haven`t found out about it yet.

UltraLiteTriple

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just did it on mine, under hood fuse box its a 40a fuse that goes in the stud #1 its the one to the far left, hope that helps
Rob

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same deal with my buddy's '08 Chevy we used this wknd, no power to the center wire to run interior trailer lights. my '06 GM has juice to light the trailer, not sure what the deal is.

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just did it on mine, under hood fuse box its a 40a fuse that goes in the stud #1 its the one to the far left, hope that helps
Rob

this is true, the fuse is with the wiring harness for your brake controller that comes with the truck

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rob
Any chance of getting a picture or two so I know what I`m looking for or at. And you know the funny thing is when I bought my truck I told the salesman that I want the trailer package because I was going to be hauling a 25' enclosed trailer at times. They just don`t listen or care.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any chance of getting a picture or two so I know what I`m looking for or at. And you know the funny thing is when I bought my truck I told the salesman that I want the trailer package because I was going to be hauling a 25' enclosed trailer at times. They just dn`t listen or care.
common problem with people .....vehicles come with a nice little feature called owners manuals a wealth of information.... read them might be surprised what you learn

bergy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any chance of getting a picture or two so I know what I`m looking for or at. And you know the funny thing is when I bought my truck I told the salesman that I want the trailer package because I was going to be hauling a 25' enclosed trailer at times. They just don`t listen or care.

All Chevy trucks come this way. Under the hood take the cover off of the fuse pannel. If you are standing on the left side of the vehicle looking at the fuses there will be a red dummy plug in the top l/h corner (Stud #1 I believe) Remove this plug and install a 40A fuse. It is all in the owners manual.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All Chevy trucks come this way. Under the hood take the cover off of the fuse pannel. If you are standing on the left side of the vehicle looking at the fuses there will be a red dummy plug in the top l/h corner (Stud #1 I believe) Remove this plug and install a 40A fuse. It is all in the owners manual.
I found it. I thought this was a real fuse. Thats why I couldn`t find the place to put a fuse.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
common problem with people .....vehicles come with a nice little feature called owners manuals a wealth of information.... read them might be surprised what you learn
I read my manual from cover to cover and it said nothing about adding a fuse for an interior trailer light. I only ask for others help when I can`t figure it out for myself.

popeye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read my manual from cover to cover and it said nothing about adding a fuse for an interior trailer light. I only ask for others help when I can`t figure it out for myself.

It should say trailer battery charge in the manual in the fuse section

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I went back to the book and I found on page 601 of the 07 diesel gmc manual that Stud #1...Auxillary power(single battery and diesels only)/ dual battery (tp2) Do not install fuse. And for Stud #2...Accessory power/trailer wiring brake feed.

So What would everyone else have done?? Stud #1 had no fuse and Stud#2 had a fuse.

bergy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I went back to the book and I found on page 601 of the 07 diesel gmc manual that Stud #1...Auxillary power(single battery and diesels only)/ dual battery (tp2) Do not install fuse. And for Stud #2...Accessory power/trailer wiring brake feed.

So What would everyone else have done?? Stud #1 had no fuse and Stud#2 had a fuse.

By adding this fuse it supplies live power (not switched) to the center terminal of the truck trailer plug for aux power. Go ahead and install it and all your problems will be solved. If you bought the truck new with a trailer package there should have been a fuse supplied with it but not installed.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you bought the truck new with a trailer package there should have been a fuse supplied with it but not installed.
you should have been my saleman because you know more about my truck than he did. I didn`t get a fuse and it looked like there was one in place. The manual was totally backwards. It tells you not to install a fuse,lol.

Top Bottom