Chevy Fog Lights

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has gotta be a few people on here with Silverados around the 2004 year, I took out the stock 9415 fog light bulbs which were 38watts and really bright and I put in 9005 Silverstar bulbs which are 65watts. Now these fog lights are really, really bright and I'm sure I will be getting flashed by everyone, but has anyone done this and had disappointing results such as melting the fog light housing?

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
There has gotta be a few people on here with Silverados around the 2004 year, I took out the stock 9415 fog light bulbs which were 38watts and really bright and I put in 9005 Silverstar bulbs which are 65watts. Now these fog lights are really, really bright and I'm sure I will be getting flashed by everyone, but has anyone done this and had disappointing results such as melting the fog light housing?

Maybe going from 38 to 65 watt.... Did ya install them thru a relay, Cause wondring if your lite switch may heat up some?

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere on this interweb that people have done it to other vehicles such as 300M, F150 and Mustang and all they did was swap the bulbs like I did and they have had no problems. Just want to make sure I dont wreck anything too expensive. I think it would melt wiring before it roasts a relay.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
I was reading somewhere on this interweb that people have done it to other vehicles such as 300M, F150 and Mustang and all they did was swap the bulbs like I did and they have had no problems. Just want to make sure I dont wreck anything too expensive. I think it would melt wiring before it roasts a relay.

If ya run thru a relay the source is not from the lite switch, Just the trigger signal, That way ya don't damage the main switch. You may be correct & that the switch will handle the increase..... I just like to run everything thru realys just for safety.

Flange

Reaction score
how long have you had the new bulbs in there? i have an o4 gmc duramax and i have always wanted brighter fogs cus the stockers are junk keep me posted on how it works id like to do the same

i put brighter more powerful bulbs in my light on my excavator and have had no problems i went from a 55w halogen to a 100w and have had no problems at all almost 300hrs on it now

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how long have you had the new bulbs in there? i have an o4 gmc duramax and i have always wanted brighter fogs cus the stockers are junk keep me posted on how it works id like to do the same

I just put the bulbs in today, I drive back and forth to McMurray and want good lights, I might use them Monday on my trip back up there, hopefully nothing goes wrong. I think the Silverados have better fog lights than the Sierras as they are the big sguare ones instead of the little round ones the sierras have.

Flange

Reaction score
oh wow mcmurry sorry to hear that lol thats i grind i hope to never doo again lol i was up there for a couple months earlier this year and wow the traffic up there is insane it use to take me over an hour to drive 12.7 km in the morning to get to work and that was just to get to the shop then we had to get in the crew truck and go to work that took forever but i was on the clock for that so it was ok

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flange,
used the new bulbs for the trip up, they are awesome, really bright and didnt melt anything as of yet. Didnt use my hi beams because the lows with fogs are way better.

Flange

Reaction score
right on good to here ill give it a try myself and see how it works out ill let ya know once i doo but it wont be for a while cuz ill be on the mountain everyday !!!

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just wondering if you had any problems yet with the switchover yet?

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problems yet and they have been on for a couple of trips to and from Fort Mac, and I turn them on for all my city driving to p!$$ people off, work like a dream for almost 2000kms so far

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was it a easy changeover - used the same plug or had to switch the plug to fit the 9005 bulbs?

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just pulled the old ones out and plugged the new brighter ones in, no modifications required

Top Bottom