Check Engine - Fuel Gauge Showing Empty - Possibly the key?

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Had the check engine come on on Sunday at Forester. Sled was in limp mode, got it back out to the trail.

Took it apart on the trail, checked all hoses, connections and exhaust temp probes etc. When taking the top off, I forgot to check the vacuum tube on the right side. Don't know if it had fallen off or not before I took it off but it didn't pull on the top as I was taking it off, so it may have been off.

Anyways, I put it back together, still in limp mode. Tried my spare key, and boom, it works, revs up etc. But the fuel gauge is now flashing empty (tank is full).

Rode it around slowly for a bit, no engine light, running fine, then after 30 minutes the fuel gauge goes back to normal. Rode it for the rest of the day, no issues.

Got it home, tried the old key with it, and the fuel gauge is showing empty again.

My thoughts are:
1. If it was the vacuum tube on the right possibly falling off (not sure if it was off or not), fixing that should have fixed the problem, yet it remained in limp mode until I changed the key.
2. If its a bad key, which is somehow messing stuff up, swapping the key should have fixed it and I shouldn't be getting the fuel light problem for 30 minutes afterwards. I can't explain why the spare key would fix it and cause the fuel gauge to show empty either
3. If it was an engine code related to the MBRP can on it, why did the key fix it, and why is the fuel gauge messed up...

Thoughts?

Top Bottom