Catamount Glacier

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 142619
Strange, why would they put that up there? Slides didn't take it out?
it was built for the canadian ski teams to train up there around 2006ish? there was a plan put together by the canadian olympic developement assoc to help our athletes place higher in the whistler olympics and budgets were set up until then. after whistler there was no more $.

funny thing is that the summer program never really took off that well becasue the skiing was so poor. the teams were waking up at 4 am to ski from 5-9am. then they were stuck out there for the remainder of the day.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be time for the local club to become a bit more proactive and welcome/generate new members? I've yet to see a snowmobile club meeting advertisement or anything to generate members. I know of people who are part of the club that get left out of the loop that would like to see a larger membership and a stronger club participation in local activities and land use discussions. The one guy doing it does well for being one guy, but he can't be a one man show forever. :) The local club could probably have a presence at all the meetings around here lately on shared backcountry use if we had more members. There isn't any representation from snow sports or ATVing at this time...but it's loaded with greenies. Radium as a community should step up and contribute more to the local club if they are going to start trying to capitalize on it now and perhaps they should support backcountry power sports users at the land use talks. The village hasn't uttered a word towards supporting backcountry users, ever, (that I've heard anyways) and I have lived here and operated businesses here for most of my life. The lack of support for anything other than building condos or golf courses or ski hills is appalling and I find myself embarrassed often by some of the crap that the politicians do around here, you know they haven't set foot in the backcountry in a long time, if ever. Then, out of the blue a full page ad comes out promoting Radium and Catamount Glacier for sledding, even before it's officially opened.

I totally agree, the individual who is running the tourism group tried the same stunt with the mountainbike trails a couple yrs ago. he figured he would pay a local rider to build a map book of all the trails(most of which were not authorized) and then sell them to tourists..... the main problem was there was no long term plan for the trails which are maintained by volunteers. it's easy to advertise and bring people to the great area we call home but not so easy to keep the play areas up to a proper standard once the masses get here.

Top Bottom