Buying a used sled, need help.

Marty117

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I'm still on the hunt. I agree though, people generally are asking way too much for used sleds, especially ones that have obviously been rat-bagged. The prices I listed are what I've been able to talk/email down the guys.

I checked out a 05 M7 w/ 2300 miles on her. It has been rolled once, and for a bit the guy had a boondocker box on it until he broke the screen. I've never ridden with a boondocker, so I don't know much about them. Are they "hard" on a sled?

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the Rev and don't believe the low mileage on the M7 until you look at it and verify that the chasis and wear items support the low mileage.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy a new sled and you won't need any help.....LOL... M7's in my opinion have always run well. I had polaris before cat so I have owned both and I say M7. STAY AWAY FROM THE DOOOOOOOS..LOL

jonniebud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 03 summit seems to be a good deal even though im a cat guy the cat just seems to be to high a price with that many k

Marty117

Reaction score
So I think I'm down to a 05 M7 w/ 1200 miles or KM on it. But I've got a couple questions first if anyone can help me out:

1. I was under the impression that all Arctic Cat odometers are in miles, but the speedo is in Km/H, any input?

2. The exhaust, after running the sled for a bit, had some oil dripping out of it. Would that be just from running too rich of a mixture, or an indicator to any more serious problems?

3. There seems to be an issue with the rear suspension. It compresses way too easily and does not rebound that fast. I can bottom out the suspension without too much effort, and it seems very slow to rebound/I have to lift it up to rebound completely. I am unfamiliar with the shocks on the M7, so would it be an air/oil level problem, or possibly a pre-tensioning?

4. For $250 more I can have a Mountain Mod seat with the sled. I know they are lighter and taller than the stock seat, but at 5'7" would it be worth getting the mod seat?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why spend 5 for a used one, M7 Arctic cats are best buys now,
I ride a Polaris, because l my friends with ACs always working on them.they add Nitous, and blowers and big bores, and then tow em home?with there wifes Stock M-7s .

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I think I'm down to a 05 M7 w/ 1200 miles or KM on it. But I've got a couple questions first if anyone can help me out:

1. I was under the impression that all Arctic Cat odometers are in miles, but the speedo is in Km/H, any input?

2. The exhaust, after running the sled for a bit, had some oil dripping out of it. Would that be just from running too rich of a mixture, or an indicator to any more serious problems?

3. There seems to be an issue with the rear suspension. It compresses way too easily and does not rebound that fast. I can bottom out the suspension without too much effort, and it seems very slow to rebound/I have to lift it up to rebound completely. I am unfamiliar with the shocks on the M7, so would it be an air/oil level problem, or possibly a pre-tensioning?

4. For $250 more I can have a Mountain Mod seat with the sled. I know they are lighter and taller than the stock seat, but at 5'7" would it be worth getting the mod seat?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

The Cat suspensions are very decieving,I have had many people come to me over the years figuring that there was something wrong with it,for some reason that is just the way they are.They do work excellent,there are some cheap improvements for this skid on the market.

I would take the Mountain Mod seat with it too,the stock seat is way to low,even for your height,it makes the transition from sitting to standing soooo much easier.

A little oil coming out the exhaust when cold is normal,warming up the motor before reving up is very important,you do not want to cold siese it.I would pull the exhaust off and look in both cylinders for any scuffing on the pistons and cylinders.

I would also look clutches over real good for any hairline cracks.

Good luck,I should also ad the M7 is one very fun sled to ride,they will run with the big boys all day,I am kicking myself for ever parting with mine.

Top Bottom