Brakes locking up

Toy4Fun

Reaction score
I've got a brakes issue hopefully someone can help. I extended my brake line 10" to put a 8" riser on my 1997 Summit. Now my brakes start cooking when I'm running down the trail or playing in the powder, it's like my brake fluid is boiling. If i crack the bleeder it will loosen up for 5-10 minutes, then it does it again. At first I though I was using the wrong brake fluid but I switched to DOT5.1 and its still cooking. Any ideas why it is boiling?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
air in the line some place it does't take much to expand try adding fluid from the brake bleed screw take cover off reservoir that way the air will travel up and out

Toy4Fun

Reaction score
That makes sense, so add the fluid at the caliper and bleed it backwards. Sounds like it would work, I'll try it and see if I can get some air out.

Last edited:

Toy4Fun

Reaction score
Ok, so I've changed the caliper and took off the extended brake line, then re bled the system thinking I would solve the issue. They still locked up and overheated on my last ride... could the master cylinder be causing this? It seems to pump just fine though. I'm at a loss for what to do next other than not use the brake...

greenmtnboys

Reaction score
Make sure your brake line is not starting to break down sometimes the lining in the brake line can separate an act like a check valve only letting fluid travel one way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom